Notifications
Clear all

new bassist looking for tips

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@dukeulrich)
Topic starter  

hey there, im a relatively new bassist. i got a bass about a year ago for my birthday. i started playing and im in love. a good buddy of mine is really into guitar but doesn't know a whole bunch about bass. im to busy with other things to take up lessons so i just play and have taught myself almost everything i know. i would like any theory or any tips that you more experienced bassists have to offer. also my bass is pretty worn so i am thinking about upgrading. is an epiphone thunderbird reverse IV a good way to go?

(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I'd recommend starting with "Wheat's Bass Book".

It's free and online and covers most of what a beginning or intermediate bassist needs.

I don't know that bass well enough to comment, although Epiphone makes decent products in general.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Ive told you before Eric. You MUST get that bass. I love its looks. Im sure it sounds great too, better than what you have at least...

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@acopfender)
Trusted Member

Hey,

I suggest you don't get an Epiphone, epiphone is ok for guitars but epiphone and gibson don't make a very good bass, i suggest you get a fender, or if you want a step down in price but still want good quality get a squire. Do what you want but in the long run a fender would work out better...

i play a fender telecaster and i need to know about effects!

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Are you sure man? Ive looked up reviews on many epiphone basses and most of them have been good. Mostly on this one bass, and most say its one of the best basses they have ever played.

Also I dont really want the bassist in my band to have the typical Fender type bass. Its so boring nowadays. If he wants one of course he could get one but i think he concurs with me on this point. Its just like, partly an image thing too. The thunderbird IV has such an amazing shape and styling. I love it.

Yeah. If anyone really thinks itd be a bad idea then yea, tell us.

Thanks.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

How come nobody ever suggests ibanez? I have an ibanez bass that was pretty cheap and I love it so far. It was a really good deal.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

How come nobody ever suggests ibanez? I have an ibanez bass that was pretty cheap and I love it so far. It was a really good deal.

You know it's funny, I played a guitar in a music store today and even though the price tag was under $300, I found the guitar to have a really nice sound. I'm really believe that two things really count, especially with electric instruments: amps provide a significant part of tone and that alot of the time a cheaper instrument can be just as good as an expensive one. So anyways, I think you have a good point and some people should worry less with what brand their guitar is and more of what the guitar sounds like.

Anyways, enough ranting :) I'm not even really a bass player, but I think the same can be applied to bass.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@victoryrecco)

Are you sure man? Ive looked up reviews on many epiphone basses and most of them have been good. Mostly on this one bass, and most say its one of the best basses they have ever played.

Also I dont really want the bassist in my band to have the typical Fender type bass. Its so boring nowadays. If he wants one of course he could get one but i think he concurs with me on this point. Its just like, partly an image thing too. The thunderbird IV has such an amazing shape and styling. I love it.

Yeah. If anyone really thinks itd be a bad idea then yea, tell us.

Thanks.

Yeah i know what your saying about the typical fender bass, and i understand you want something different. I just started looking at Ernie Ball Musicman Stingrays and they look pretty sick. All the reviews and research i've done says that there as good as fenders too. So i'm not sure about the epiphone. If you were gonna get the thunderbrid i'd definately go with the Gibson not Epiphone, from what i've heard they dont't sound that great and don't last in the long run. but still from what i've heard epiphone and gibson don't make a good bass. idk though

ReplyQuote
(@tsarcazm)

The bb's are sweet. with thos individula saddels.

And the revers Tbirds are nice too i've heard. little neck-heavy but hey.

some peoel say they make up for the EB's wich JB didin't find too bad at the time.

some guys also say the Epi's are a bettr price point than the actual Gibbsons.

But i just love that reverse t-bird / firebird shape personly.

Practice; don't ask, just practice

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

well what can you say about THIS BASS GUITAR -

http://www.music123.com/Dean-Rhapsody-12-i124186.music

(and don't forget to check out the larger image :wink: )

awesome , i don't know who play such pieces :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

That bass is amazing. I can't even imagine playing on triple courses. The most I've ever played was an eight string with double courses, and that was crazy enough.

ReplyQuote
(@classic_rock_kid08)
Trusted Member

Get a 5-string that sounds good to you.

Here's a trick I learned on my own. When playing with a guitarist that likes to switch from drop-D to E then back ALOT, just tune the low B-string up to a "low-D". That way you don't have to worry about tuning, and you can get a cool dark tone which souns good in rock.

Music is one of the most powerful forces on this planet, why not put it to use?
Brandon Pace
http://www.brandonmpace.com

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Wow, that 12 string bass must be insane.

If you don't like five strings you could get an octave pedal instead which I hear work pretty well.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@classic_rock_kid08)
Trusted Member

The reason I like 5- string basses is because the strings are closer together, making it easier to move from string to string quickly and easily. Also I love the aforementioned trick. Using an octave pedal would be too much of a hassle, at least in my opinion.

Music is one of the most powerful forces on this planet, why not put it to use?
Brandon Pace
http://www.brandonmpace.com

ReplyQuote