Clear all

Having problems....

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I bought a (fairly) cheap Freshman bass guitar a few months ago, and whereas I seem to be able to suss a bass-line out when I'm playing guitar, I have a hard time translating it to bass...

All I'm really doing is playing root notes....any of you got any experience of looking up Bass tabs on the internet? Are they accurate? Are they any help?

And I seem to be playing everything close to the nut...would it help if I transposed everything, say an octave higher, and played it higher up the neck?

Hmmm, I thought this was going to be easy....looks like I was was wrong, looks like there's a lot more to it than I originally envisaged...

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@97reb)
Noble Member

Maybe the tonal qualities of the different octaves is throwing your ears off a bit. Moving your fretting up to higher frets on the bass may sound more similar to what you might can get tonally on a 6 string lead guitar with all your tones pointed towards a bass sound, but remember the bass is supposed to be with more bass and your guitar not neccassarily toned for bass, but more mids and trebs. I mean, there are variences, but the bas guitar is for bass, the 6 string for lead/rythym. Don't let your ears get confused.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

I just bought a bass yesterday and I've been looking up tabs and stuff. They seem pretty decent so far. If you go to http://www.spfc.org they have insanely accurate guitar tabs, and pretty good bass tabs (but it's only for the smashing pumpkins). The thing I've noticed about most of the tabs I've read is it's not the notes that are too tricky, but getting the right rhythm down. So for me, the tabs at least tell me what notes to play but I still definitely have to listen to the song a lot and play along to know what the bass is playing.

There is way more to it than I thought too! I'm having fun though. Just keep slugging through the songs :)

ReplyQuote
(@dukeulrich)

for tabs, i usually use mxtabs.net its got a lot of songs, some are very accurate, some not so much...but they're rated so u can see which ones r the more accurate ones

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I have a hard time translating it to bass...

Vic;

Try some of the bass lessons. https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=155

Some of them discuss the issues you're having. You probably play better than the level of these lessons, but some of the concepts apply.

If you go to the Bass Lessons page, you'll want to read them from the bottom of the list.

Let me know if you still have questions...

Laz

ReplyQuote