Skip to content
Got it out of my sy...

Notifications
Clear all

Got it out of my system: or not, after this discussion.

37 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I can't even play 6 string that well, yet one day I want to learn bass. I had a thing for playing around with an acoustic bass. I thought that if I played with another guitarist or two, and I played bass, it might be an acoustic group.

So I went to the guitar store the other day, mainly to drool, and decided to pick up the acoustic bass and noodle around with it. Well, as someone somewhere pointed out, the volume is almost a whisper. I noticed some controls on the top of the body, but I didn't notice any pickups. It was fully acoustic as far as I could tell. I was curious about what the slide controls are. I don't remember what brand it was, but it was a beauty and felt good handling it.

Well, at any rate, having realized that without some kind of amplification... a mic, perhaps, it could easily be drowned out by a 6 string. So I got the idea of an acoustic bass out of my system. If and when the day ever comes that I learn and play bass, it will be electric.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Acoustic basses are cool! And electrics, too! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ADQhv2flw

I'm not an expert but sometimes the pickups are inside the body. Perhaps it only had installed the preamp with the controls.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Or.....it could have had a piezo pick-up in the bridge, like some acoustics do? Logic is telling me that if there are volume and tone controls, they're there for a reason....ie there's a pick-up, or possibly a pre-amp. Only way to tell is plugging it in!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I didn't see any place for a plug, so that's what threw me. I must go back to the guitar store and investigate this further. Perhaps I'm not so over it as I thought. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Usually the plug is at the endpin, same place where you attach the strap to the bottom end of the guitar. Karen (my partner, etc., etc.,) has an acoustic bass (Michael Kelly) and it's terrific as it's loud enough to play with one or two acoustic guitars but plugs right in if you want to get more sound.

And once you play a bass you never get it out of your system! :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

And it's funny, because I specifically looked there! Well, I was probably just so unaccustomed to handling a bass I might have overlooked it. Maybe I was not as strong on the strings either, feeling a little self-conscious. You know, you guys are NOT helping my GAS. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I did a little more research reading and watching on-line videos; I found that you guys were right about the pickups, controls and amplification of an acoustic bass. Not that I doubted you. :wink: I just have to know how things work. I must have missed the plug by the endpin, and there were for sure controls on the top of the body. A video I saw showed and explained this. So now my curiosity is satisfied. :P

But one further question... can the acoustic bass be plugged into a regular amp? I understand it's best to plug an electric bass into a bass amp. I have a little Marshall MG10CD that serves well for my purposes and playing. Not that I'm going to delve into bass any time soon. This is just education for me.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Guitar amps and bass amps are different: the cabinet is different (usually they are closed), the speaker is different (you need a greater diameter), etc. They need to amplify very low frequencies and so they also use more power (I've a 30w and it is not very much loud).

You could play the bass on that amplifier if you play it to low volume but normally it will not sound so good, it will sound more like a guitar, it will not be able to get the low frequencies.

I remember several posts on this question in this forum with remarks and advices.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nuno. I think I pretty much knew the answer, but I thought for my purposes at home it might serve. I've read that guitar and bass amps are different, and that you can blow out a guitar amp if not careful. I don't play my 6 string loud either, and I play it clean. But any reason to get more gear is fine by me. And I am struggling very hard against the rip current to not go for the bass. As you all know, I am not even proficient on the 6 string, let alone attempting to noodle around with a bass. Especially considering I have no one to play with. :cry:

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'd say go for it you might find you enjoy it more and play it better too! Either way you'll have a new toy and something to pick up if you want a break from the guitar.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'd say go for it you might find you enjoy it more and play it better too! Either way you'll have a new toy and something to pick up if you want a break from the guitar.

You know, this is what I was going to ask, but I didn't want to seem OCD. I like the way you think. Oooooh! Some new toys, and a full blown case of GAS! :lol:

See, I have no one to play with (I really have to get some friends :cry: ). My concern was that I'd be over-reaching at this time by picking up a bass and noodling around with it, as well as continuing to learn 6 string. I know there is so much more to learn. One of my goals is to play melody with chords. And as much as I've resisted pentatonic scales, I know they're probably integral to doing chord/melody.

I've gone through the Guitar For Dummies and Rock Guitar For Dummies books, and while I can't be so arrogant to say I know everything, most of what's in those books is what I've learned over the years. Unless I am totally off-base, if you've got a modicum of experience with guitar, there's not a whole lot that's new in those books. They're good references and refreshers though.

I also picked up Bass Guitar For Dummies a while ago. I have been afraid to really delve into it, fearing the bug may bite even harder. Also, I've heard that bass is "easy to learn, but hard to master". I am well aware that it might stand in a corner for weeks between times practicing it. So I guess it would not be a mistake.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I had the same doubts. There is an old thread with part of my thoughts and also with a set of great advices. And there are two more posts with my comments after one and four months.

What could I tell you now? Go to the store and buy the acoustic bass or an electric bass as soon as possible! Currently the bass is my first instrument and I never got so many fun with other and I have played (or tried to play) several musical instruments along my life. Perhaps I found mine. I understand the bass and the bass player role. I can collaborate with the others. I can express myself through the bass. And the most important, at least to me, I have a lot of fun with the bass.

What if your instrument is also the bass? You are spending your time playing those ugly 6-string guitars! :lol:

David said it some posts above: And once you play a bass you never get it out of your system.

And if we are wrong and you don't like/play the bass anymore, then the magic word is 'eBay'. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

What could I tell you now? Go to the store and buy the acoustic bass or an electric bass as soon as possible!

This is why I love this site... you're all a corrupting influence. roflmao :lol:
What if your instrument is also the bass? You are spending your time playing those ugly 6-string guitars! :lol:

Well, let's not get nasty! :P
David said it some posts above: And once you play a bass you never get it out of your system.

I believe it.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'm sorry, I was kidding. There are many beautiful guitars, too.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm sorry, I was kidding. There are many beautiful guitars, too.

Oh I know... A little "competitive" fun. :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3