Skip to content
Got it out of my sy...

Notifications
Clear all

Got it out of my system: or not, after this discussion.

37 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Shake it off. If you want to learn bass or even if you just want to thump away at it cluelessly (like me) buy one. Bass is FUN!
It can be a challenge to sing while playing bass but I'd never give up a chance to play bass and jam. It's just a blast.

That's what I'm looking forward to... just having fun. To try out the Ibanez I just played a couple of riffs, and ran up and down the notes. But it escapes me why people have to cut others down. This is one of the reasons I am learning to keep my mouth shut in real life, and become more private.

OK, whining over. :P

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Playing bass helps everything guitar related. Timing, dexterity, strength, economy of motion, keeping your fingers as close as possible to the strings...it all pays big dividends when you go back to the 6 string.
Enjoy!
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Playing bass helps everything guitar related. Timing, dexterity, strength, economy of motion, keeping your fingers as close as possible to the strings...it all pays big dividends when you go back to the 6 string.
Enjoy!
:)

Oh, you're the best friends anybody's ever had! *sniff* :cry: *sniff*

You all realize of course, that this is not a hard sell. :D

Edit: serious note... I wonder if I might ask at the music center if we could switch on and off guitar and bass. Not trying to get two classes for one, but a month or two of guitar, then before boredom sets in again (and we know it happens), switch over to some bass work. Hmm... ! The worst that could happen is they say no.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Mino,

On the cutting down thing, I think that alot of people are just liek that. I've been playing about 5-6 years now and I definitely have made tremendous leaps in my playing but the wife who also plays guitar and (yes is better than me) always cuts me down. She'll make comments like " Why do you spend $20/wk on lessons when you still can't play" I just tell her so I don't have to waste it on you...well I actually never said that but I think I will next time. But you know what, I don't care I know how well I play or don't play, and I like it so I'm going to keep doing it.

Don't let those kind of comments get you down. I know we are all human so I won't lie to you and tell you it doesn't bother me deep down cuz it does but only for a second then I'm OK.

You have to start somewher and starting at the I suck stage is pretty much where everyone starts.

The next time your boss says something like that pass him the guitar and ask him to play something...when he hands it back to you and says " I can't play that"..tell him "That's what I thought"

The only thing I would caution you on and I don't know you personally but you have to watch out if you keeping switching between bass and guitar..you may just prolong your advancement at both by not spending enough time with each but if you really want to do it go for it you're more likely to stick with it if you're having fun.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Mino,

On the cutting down thing, I think that alot of people are just liek that. I've been playing about 5-6 years now and I definitely have made tremendous leaps in my playing but the wife who also plays guitar and (yes is better than me) always cuts me down. She'll make comments like " Why do you spend $20/wk on lessons when you still can't play"

Ouch!!! That really hurts coming from a spouse! Though sometimes that's really just "tough love" to spur and push you on.

Hey, I tried! :wink:
I just tell her so I don't have to waste it on you...well I actually never said that but I think I will next time.

OK, perfect timing for this...

The next time your boss says something like that pass him the guitar and ask him to play something...when he hands it back to you and says " I can't play that"..tell him "That's what I thought"

Bwahahahaha :twisted: Good one! Next Wednesday before my lesson. I bring the ax into the office because I don't like it sitting in the truck all day.
The only thing I would caution you on and I don't know you personally but you have to watch out if you keeping switching between bass and guitar..you may just prolong your advancement at both by not spending enough time with each but if you really want to do it go for it you're more likely to stick with it if you're having fun.

Yep I've thought about that too and have to be conscious of it. My time would be mostly dedicated to guitar. With a little bass thrown in for fun and... well, certainly not profit. :P

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think I said I'm a little shy of the amount for the bass because the money I put aside went into a new battery for my truck. Ok, priorities.

Sovereign Bank has a little offer:

Open a checking account for minimum $10. Use the debit/check card within 60 days for 6 purchases totalling $250. At the end of the 60 days they credit you $100. Nothing about how long to keep the account open. And who cares? I can keep it as a mad money account and just throw a few bucks at it every now and again for... hey! music doo-dads! :D

I figure I can open the account, deposit $200, buy the geetar, add some more funds as I get paid and use that account instead of my regular one to get gas and groceries. I should easily spend $250 on 6 purchases in 60 days, which I have to buy anyway. And I get $100, which means I get my geetar for 69.99 + 7% NJ sales tax (OK, about $82 total).
Get $100 Bonus to Help Strengthen Your Finances*
Switch to Sovereign and put the strength of one of the world's safest banks behind your money.?

Open a Sovereign Premier or Interest Checking account by May 22nd
Use your CheckCard to make 6 purchases totaling at least $250 in 60 days
Get $100 bonus deposited into your account*

* Open a new Sovereign Premier Checking, Business Owner Premier Checking, Interest Checking or Partnership Checking account by May 22, 2009 with a standard minimum opening deposit of $10 and request a Sovereign CheckCard ("SCC"). If you make 6 SCC purchases totaling at least $250 within 60 days after you open your account, you will receive a credit of $100 to your new checking account within 15 days after the expiration of this 60-day period. One $100 credit per customer. Your account must be open in order for you to receive your bonus.

I hear that Chase Bank is doing something similar. Now, I did plan on getting a little bass amp... :D

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It turns out that this offer is a bit of a come-on. There is a monthly service fee that would negate the $100 credit. So my new tack is to just establish a savings fund and save up for the Ibanez. It's the one I played and really liked. The Dean may be a decent entry level bass, but my gut tells me to wait until I can afford the Ibanez. Always listen to your gut. :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3