Skip to content
Got it out of my sy...

Notifications
Clear all

Got it out of my system: or not, after this discussion.

37 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@daven)
Estimable Member

I agree you never get bass out of your system. Do your shoulder a favor though, get the acoustic or get a semi-hollow electric. I have an old Hofner that's nice and light and I have a Peavey with a solid ash (I think) body and it is heavy! I've got a 3" or 3 1/2" strap on it with a BIG sheepskin pad just to try and spread the load.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I agree you never get bass out of your system. Do your shoulder a favor though, get the acoustic or get a semi-hollow electric. I have an old Hofner that's nice and light and I have a Peavey with a solid ash (I think) body and it is heavy! I've got a 3" or 3 1/2" strap on it with a BIG sheepskin pad just to try and spread the load.

Yes, that's what I'm looking to, the acoustic. I hadn't really considered a solid body electric bass, since my first love is acoustic anything. I love my electric 6 string, but acoustic was my first. And you always remember your first. :D

Now, I just have to calculate how much blood I have to sell to buy the bass, and after selling all that blood, will I have the strength to play!? rofl :lol:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

See, I have no one to play with (I really have to get some friends.)

Audacity is my best friend......

Record backing track. Play back, record vocals. Play back, record bass. Play back, record lead guitar. Play back, record.... anything else that comes to mind.

Even if you're not that advanced musically, it's all good practise.

I really need to get some musical friends, too!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

See, I have no one to play with (I really have to get some friends.)

Audacity is my best friend......

Record backing track. Play back, record vocals. Play back, record bass. Play back, record lead guitar. Play back, record.... anything else that comes to mind.

Even if you're not that advanced musically, it's all good practise.

I really need to get some musical friends, too!

:D :D :D

Vic

I'd love to do that. And I guess it goes partially to the other post I made about how to record using a webcam and pc mic. I'm sure there is equipment for this exact purpose of overdubbing.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Min,

Just use Audacity as Vic suggested. it will record multiple tracks and it is very easy to use.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Oh, I thought he meant "audacity" as in courage and having b*lls! I can be so dense at times. :lol:

I'll look it up.

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Or, you could just sing to the bass line. If you know the song it's not hard. Sometimes you go with what you got! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I played hooky from work yesterday. I needed a "Mental Health Day"; I got so little done for myself over the weekend that I needed an extra day off. One of those for-me things was to visit one of the huge music centers in my area (actually about 15 miles away: Freehold Music Center. I've been wanting to check them out for their lessons (I may start up again), and to torture myself and drool over the equipment.

I spoke to the lessons co-ordinator and had a very good talk with her about my goals and desires, likes and dislikes about previous lessons. She said she knew exactly what I was talking about, it was a very common thing. She had two teachers in mind for me. They are older and highly experienced and accomplished musicians and teachers. They are not young guys who play in bands and teach what they've learned. So this sounds good... hopefully in the quite near future. $20/week; 4 week months all the time. The 5th week is make up and breath-catching.

But the piece de resistance, as this thread is about my desire to noodle around with acoustic bass is this I saw hanging on the wall. I almost passed out (this is the GC photo, but it's the same ax)...

Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic-Electric Bass Guitar with Onboard Tuner

or

I have my 6 and 12 strings in natural, and my Jackson in black. I love the black Ibanez but the "Dark Violin Sunburst" is truly different.

I want it! I want it! I want it! And I have straps that will match either one. :lol: GC has it for $349, which I believe the tag at FMC said also. Admittedly I didn't play it. But the guy said it's really sweet. FMC said they will match any other dealer's prices. I LOVE the place. It's my new favorite music store! :D IF I could, I would get a part time job there. It would offset my lessons fees.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Those basses are pretty nice! Perhaps I prefer the black one but for similar reasons to you, my guitars are sunburst and my bass is white, but the sunburst is really cool, too!

But it seems the best is you find a great store. When I find one of those stores I don't put too many attention in the prices, they are usually very similar and the advices and service is also valuable.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been wanting to get to this store for the longest time! I bought my other two guitars at a smaller, closer guitar shop. And while the place is good, it can't comper to FMC. They have drum kits, keyboards, guitars, other stringed instruments (but no sitar, drat!), horns!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

All right... I am still thinking about this. I have been looking at my options as far as a bass. I like the Ibanez EAB10, but as my first bass, which I can't even play yet, can I justify $349? I think no, beautiful as they are.

My other option is a Dean EAB Acoustic-Electric Bass for $169:

Anyone had experience with Dean? The reviews are pretty good; of course I doubt the dealers would publish really scathing reviews. I'm going to check it out at Guitar Center and see how it feels. My concern is that some of the reviews claim it's "big".

Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about guitar manufacturing specs:

Body Type - Hollow Body
Body Wood - Laminated
Bridge - Thru Bridge
Bridge Pickup - Piezo
Controls - Other *
Finish - Polyurethane
Fretboard - Rosewood
Hardware Color - Chrome
Neck Joint - Set-in
Neck Material - Maple
Number Of Frets - 22
Number of Strings - 4
Pickup Selector - Other *
Preamp - N/A
Scale Length - 34" (864 mm)
Top Wood - with Spruce
Tuners - Other *

* I have a feeling "Other" means "None".

I understand that laminated is not the best choice for a body? Or is that sales hype from manufacturers that use only solid wood?

Btw, I'm about to order David's book Complete Idiot's Guide To Playing Bass Guitar. Even if I don't get a bass for a while, all knowledge is good.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

No experience with Dean but it seems pretty cool.

On laminated vs. solid top, it is not necessary a bad choice. I will try to explain the theory. The concept of 'age' is for the solid wood for the body, so they can improve the sound when they are 'aged', there is a modification of the wood for the vibrations. That issue is not applicable to the laminated instruments because there is the wood but also the glue that joins the different pieces. Thus, that instrument always sound with the same tone, it will not improve, but if it is good, it will always good.

Check it out at Guitar Center is a great idea, sometimes the reviews are very 'personal'.

Purchasing the David's book is always a great idea, too. And there is a lot of knowledge in that small book!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

No experience with Dean but it seems pretty cool.

On laminated vs. solid top, it is not necessary a bad choice. I will try to explain the theory. The concept of 'age' is for the solid wood for the body, so they can improve the sound when they are 'aged', there is a modification of the wood for the vibrations. That issue is not applicable to the laminated instruments because there is the wood but also the glue that joins the different pieces. Thus, that instrument always sound with the same tone, it will not improve, but if it is good, it will always good.

Check it out at Guitar Center is a great idea, sometimes the reviews are very 'personal'.

Purchasing the David's book is always a great idea, too. And there is a lot of knowledge in that small book!

Thanks Nuno. Yes... now I remember reading something (maybe on Seagull's site) about the improvement in sound as the wood ages. Laminates don't do that.

Well, I went to Guitar Center around lunchtime and played with the Ibanez AEB10 (the Gloss Black, a beauty). It was pretty sweet. Not at all hard to handle. And the sound was pretty good, even unplugged, which is how I'd probably play most of the time. Down the road I'd get the bass equivalent of my little Marshall MG10CD if I want to plug in.

There were no Deans in stock, but I could call him up, place the order over the phone, they could order and I'd have it within a week. I just don't have $169.99 + 7% sales tax right now! My bass money went to Sears for a new truck battery yesterday. Curses! Curses! Foiled again. :evil: He said the Dean would be just fine for my level.

Now, I didn't know that GC has a 30 day no-questions-asked-money-back guarantee. I said, so if I don't like the color anymore... ? Or I don't like the feel or sound? Yep, bring it back. This is good since I was not able to hear, feel and see it. With the return policy I can't go wrong.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just being chatty here... bored again at work. :?

When I came back from GC yesterday I made the mistake of bringing it up that I am interested in learning bass. People know I am a newbie at guitar and not very good, but I am working on it.

In front of a few other people my boss, who has been the closest thing to a big brother and best friend I have for > 24 years (you'll see why with friends like this, you don't need enemies) blurts out "You can't even play guitar, and you want to play bass?".

If there was a pile of dinosaur shit nearby I would have buried myself in it from humiliation. I began rethinking this whole guitar-bass-music thing, and practiced very poorly last night. I can be easily cut down. :?

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Shake it off. If you want to learn bass or even if you just want to thump away at it cluelessly (like me) buy one. Bass is FUN!
It can be a challenge to sing while playing bass but I'd never give up a chance to play bass and jam. It's just a blast.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3