Growing a band

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Many of you know I have a son that has played drums for a couple years now. He's 8. Well, my oldest who is now a 13 year old told me he wanted to learn bass. So for his birthday, today, we picked out this.

Muhahhah a couple more children and I will have a full band.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

How's your wife feel about that? :wink:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

ROFL, ya.. I guess I need one of those first dont I. Hum.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Way to go, Dad! Nice b'day gift!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Nice b-day gift Jim! 8) Now you've got your very own rhythm section! :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

This thread gave me an idea. Wouldn't it be fun to have a parent-kid music seminar/"reunion" gathering sometime?

There are many parent-child(ren) combos here at GN, and we could have some seminar sessions, and jam sessions, and go check out some live music in the evenings.

Wouldn't that be cool??

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Way to Grow, Geoo. By the cultivation method you don't get a bunch of people with bad habits already :shock: ...good thinking. :D

This thread gave me an idea. Wouldn't it be fun to have a parent-kid music seminar/"reunion" gathering sometime?

There are many parent-child(ren) combos here at GN, and we could have some seminar sessions, and jam sessions, and go check out some live music in the evenings.

Wouldn't that be cool??

Margaret

Are you limiting it to just children? I have a "grand children :wink: " who I'd want to bring.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Bish wrote: Are you limiting it to just children? I have a "grand children " who I'd want to bring.
So much the better! 8)

I would be less inclined to limit than to open the doors to anyone who wanted to come, kids in tow or not. Intergenerational stuff is too rare in most kids' lives these days.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

It might look something like this:

http://www.cyberlaz.com/RJ2K5Set3.htm

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Yup! My kids and I play together all the time, it's a great deal of fun.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

They do already (sort of), it's called the Riverside Jam.

Jim, have fun and enjoy the time!

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Very cool! How's that Crate amp sound?

I've bought both of my children guitars. My oldest (14) says she is still playing on a regular basis, but I haven't heard her talk about it much lately. She was bringing it over when she stayed with us, but that's been awhile.

My youngest (10) only occasionally wants to try playing together. Although this past weekend I got him on my bass, showed him a simple line, and then I jammed over it. He seemed to enjoy it. :)

If nothing else, it's great father/child time. Congrats!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@soundgarden)
Trusted Member

Great to hear that there learning instruments. They'll both benifit off each other because i could imagine it would be a great help as a bassist to have a drummer around and vice versa. Good choice for a birthday present it's one that will pay off greatly for you're son in the long term.

best of luck.

Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem. Kurt Cobain
Have you seen the roses? There's a whole lot of colours. Syd Barret

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all. Man, I am really impressed how excited he is about his bass. He's been playing it alot. We havent played together yet but I am hoping we get to tonight.

He starts lessons tomorrow. I really like his teacher. His teacher plays bass in my teachers band. LOL..

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Wouldn't that be cool??

Margaret

That sounds great! My son & I are in. Name the place. :D 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote