Clear all

Neck-through-body design

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@daria)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was reading an atricle in Bass Guitar about what to look for when buying a bass. The article says to avoid basses with the neck-through-body design. (I'll find the exact quote later)
So, I have two questions. First, exactly how is the neck-through-body design different? And second, what is the downside to the design?

Thanks!  ;)

"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you will die today." ~James Dean

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Say what!?!  Usually neck-through is considered better, and it's usually more expensive.

Think of your bass as an archer's bow, it wouldn't be as effective if it was bolted together in the middle.  It's a complete system of stresses and tensions and vibrations, and the more consistent the design, with the fewest moving parts, is going to work the best.

Bolt-ons are less expensive and easier to adjust, but I've never heard anyone wish to trade in their neck-through for a bolt-on.  Obviously, "reference" basses like the Fenders are the exception.

Check http://www.Carvin.com for some gorgeous neck-through designs.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Maybe avoid for the expensiveness.  I wouldnt avoid though if you can afford it.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

Another maker of neck-thru designs is Rickenbacker -- the 4000 series can be found here: http://www.rickenbacker.com/us/4000series.htm

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I'd LOVE to have a Rickenbacker.  That's a sweet bass!  I might just save up for one.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

I'd LOVE to have a Rickenbacker.  That's a sweet bass!  I might just save up for one.

Thanks, 'reb -- I like mine, even though I don't get to play as often as I should.

What I did to get mine was this: every time I paid cash for something, I'd take the coins I got as change and stuff 'em into a jar.  Several times throughout the year, I'd roll the coins and take them to the credit union, and deposit them into a special "slush fund" account I'd opened just for that purpose.  Oh, I'd throw in some real money when I had some left over after paying bills, and if I received any birthday money, that went in there too.

Then, after saving up, I found a vendor online (reluctant to give them a plug, as I feel I wasn't treated very well -- email me privately if you want to know the vendor's name) selling brand-new RIC 4003s for UNDER $1000, with free shipping.  Great!  I ordered it in April, with the understanding from the webpage that "shipping time is 1-2 weeks".  Well, to make a long story, what that REALLY meant was "we'll ship it in 1-2 weeks after we receive it from Rickenbacker.  OK, I thought, I can live with that.  They told me that the actual shipping date should be early June.  Fine.  June comes and goes, and the expected shipping date moves to July, then August, and eventually November.  Turns out that RIC makes instruments when THEY want to, and orders go out after the guitars are made (duh).  Eventually, my 4003 shows up, and I am a happy boy.  

Was it worth the wait?  Absolutely.

Would I order an instrument with an open-ended delivery date again?  Probably not.

-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Well, maybe a Warwick then.  ;)

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

Well, maybe a Warwick then.  ;)

Sure, why not?

I've already got my eye on a Carvin LB70P (for details, click here: http://carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=LB70 ) made of Koa.  Last time I spec'd it out (purely for fun/torture) I could get one made for me for about the same price I paid for my RIC.

Never mind that I haven't "used up" my RIC yet, or even my Yamaha...  This is based on the idea that you can never have too many toys.  ;)

Who knows -- by the time I've saved up enough for one, I'll be ready to go fretless!

-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@kc13088)
Trusted Member

I'm not positive, but the rationale for a neck-thru design is that with less joints the guitar returns more energy to the strings and increases sustain, correct? I would suppose a neck-thru would be stronger as well.

ReplyQuote