Notifications
Clear all

Need help with bass composition

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Hi everyone

I'm guitarist in a punk band and we're planning on doing an acoustic song. I am the main songwriter for the group and I have no idea what to do with a bass in an acoustic song. I'm thinking a walking bass might work at some parts but I'm not sure. What should I do?

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

In order to not overpower the acoustic instruments, arrange the bass part to be very simple, rhythmically and note-wise. Walking is nice but not essential. It comes down to making the best arrangement for each particular song. Walking lines tend to give a song a forward moving, active sort of feel -- like you're going somewhere all the time. If that's the mood of the song, then a walking bass line could work. If the song is mellow and sort of 'drifty', then maybe just have the bass play roots of the chords and keep it simple and unobstrusive (sp?). Songs are all about the lyrics so whatever it takes to keep the lyrics upfront and potent, do it, even if it means the bassist is playing two note per bar.

Hope this helps. Let us hear it when you're done!

ReplyQuote
(@kc13088)
Trusted Member

I don't think the bassline of an acoustic song has to be simple, it just has to fit with the rhythm and context of the rest of the song.  Listen to some of the stuff off of Nirvana's live album.  Krist Novelisec plays some cool baselines, but they fit great with the rest of the songs.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I agree, bass lines in great acoustic songs have been known to overpower the mix and still work, if you don't believe me then listen to "Road trippin'" by the red hot chili peppers. I think the best thing would be to start with something basic like following the root of the chords of the guitar, then if you think you could add to the song then add whatever you can. Talk to the other members of the band and see what parts you really want to stand out, that's probably the best thing.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote