Clear all

P- Bass vs. Thunderbird

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@trotskyismyniece)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I currently own a Fernandes "retrospect" J - bass copy. I dont know whats up w/ it but the pickups are picking everything up. If you hit the body or the strap buttons it picks up through the amp. Its especially bad since i have straplocks you hear the sound of metal grinding through my amp. With this in mind i think im gonna get a new bass. Ive narrowed it down to either a Fender Standard P - Bass or an Epiphone Thunderbird. I really like the Thunderbird, but i dont like how the neck is a lot longer and wider than most basses and i hear ALOT about how its very unbalanced and the neck tends to dive. The neck diving is really driving me away from that bass since i have a cheap Rogue bass that does that and it annoys the hell out of me. I like the Fender P - bass alot but it seems like every man woman and child that has ever owned a bass has a P- bass or P - bass copy, and i like to be original (yea, i know a thunderbird isnt exactly a rare bass to see ppl playing but compared to the p -bass its pretty original). I also dont like teh colors. could someone please shed light on the situation

(@english-one)
Estimable Member

You could look into replacing the pickups on your current bass.

If you really don't like playing the Thunderbird don't buy one. I know somebody who bought a Flying V bass because it looked cool, but he can't play it because it neck dives so badly.

There's a good reason why everybody plays a P bass, theyre very good basses, but I do see what you mean about them being too common.

I suggest you look at other brands, Ibanez, Yamaha, Washburn etc. they make very good basses that have more interesting body shapes that aren't oddly weighted like the t-bird.

Or, my last suggestion is to go with a P-Bass and get a kraaaazy custom paint job. It'll certainly attract some attention.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

If you're thinking Fender, get the Jazz. It's got a faster neck, and the two pickups make it very versatile. If you want the P-bass sound, you can turn down the bridge pickup, and you'll be very close (but not exact).

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I guess the pickups are probably badly potted. You might just replace those, if you like the feel of your current bass.

ReplyQuote