Clear all

Picked Up A Bass - Questions and Clip

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone. This past Saturday my latest toy arrived. I picked up a SX SJB-62 Short Scale bass from Rondo. The reason (not that we need one, right?) is that I jam with two other guitarists once a week. Three guitars, while fun, just doesn't always work out when trying to come up with stuff. So I decided to pick up a bass and become the bassist for our little jam sessions. I'm not going to quit playing guitar by any means, just going to focus on bass while jamming (for now anyway).

Anyway, to get to my point, I'm obviously a noob on bass and would love any general tips. Like best way to place your fingers, plucking style, etc. Fortunately I noticed that what little I've learned on guitar did transfer over well to the bass (been playing guitar for roughly 2 years). That helps with chord understanding and such, but the bass is still a different beast.

Another question I have is does anyone know where to pick up short scale strings? My normal string sites don't seem to carry them. I stopped in GC and they didn't have any either.

OK, for your amusement, I'm linking to a clip I made of a little something I've been working on. This is just a portion of it that I attempted adding a baseline to. What I'm hoping for is any feedback letting me know if I'm on the right track. This was the first time I recorded two tracks (guitar and bass) and put them together, so it might be off just a bit, but it's close. Any opinions welcome. Thanks!

[Edit: Pulled the clip link.]

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

talkbass.com is a wonderful forum for all you bass needs.

i can't really differentiate the bass line from the guitar. i think it should be a little more distinct, either tonewise or rhythmically or melodically. but i'm listening from my laptop, which has crappy speakers, so take it with a grain of salt.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the link!

You know, that's one of the things I was worried about. I was basically just playing what I was playing on the guitar part. I wasn't sure how different the bass line should be. Hmm, I'll have to play around with it some more and see if I can come up with something a little more distinct.

Thanks for your input!

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Here's a couple of places to go for bass help.

http://www.wheatdesign.com/bassbook/
http://www.tunemybass.com/
http://bassdogs.com/message-board-forum/

Personally, I would not put short scale strings on your short scale bass. Short scale strings are kind of floppy. I tried out short scale strings on my short scale bass and was not happy at all. I put thicker long scale strings on and am totally happy with the way it plays.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

97reb, great links, thanks! I'm trying to absorb as much as possible.

Probably a stupid question, but aren't the short scale strings shorter? Meaning, wouldn't I have to cut regular strings down to size? I'm new to bass of course, but I see on my strings now that the ends are tapered to go around the tuning pegs. If I trimmed regular strings, wouldn't that be missing?

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Why did you get a short scale and not a full sized one ? Rondo sells them too.You see i am only curious as to the advantages of a short scale.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Rahul, mainly out of curiousity. The bass I got came fairly highly recommended by others, so that's another reason. Plus it's smaller and easier to use. If I decide to really get into learning the bass, I'm sure I'll pick up a regular scale bass at some point. Then again, I've been impressed with this little SX so far. It might just be the only bass I need for now.

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

The only string you will really notice the difference, as far as that tapering goes is the E string (your thickest string). I have not noticed any problems with mine. The other strings are just fine, too.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@thedonutman)
Eminent Member

talkbass.com is awesome

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hey CnJ: good for you with the SX. Anyhow, I get my strings from juststrings.com. They've got several different brands but I normally go for the Rotosounds. GHS, La Bella and Pyramid have shortscale sets; I like flatwounds, so I get the Roto mediumscales because my Jay Turser is just a bit over shortscale length. No problem, the mediums fit perfectly.

By the way, how's that SX? I've got one of their 5-strings and it was pretty good actually.

As far as technique and stuff, ask again about specifics.

Best regards.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Demo, I'll check that site out. I had stopped in GC and they were out of short scale strings. They don't carry much of a selection anyway.

The SX is actually really nice. I think I might have gotten lucky though. The reason I say that is Rondo sent me two by mistake. My first bass to arrive was excellent. Good build quality, sounds good, nice frets, etc. The second one I got, while I didn't play it, didn't have the same quality. The SX logo stamped in the neck plate was messed up, the burst finish wasn't as nice, and there were several blemishes in the veneer. Needless to say, the second one was the one that got sent back. Just a small sample, but out of the two I've seen, it could be a mixed bag as to how nice of one you get.

Anyway, with that out of the way, I'm really impressed with the way this bass plays and sounds. I'm having a good time with it. I think I might take to bass better than guitar, actually. Won't stop me from playing guitar though. :-)

ReplyQuote