Clear all

Silly Question?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I know this might sound like a silly question, but I was watching my friend play the Bass the other day and he has been playing for several years and is really good. That got me thinking, what is the real purpose of a basist? I mean I have a pretty good idea, but I would like to hear a response from some others.

(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Whatever purpose you want from a bassist, be creative. There are no rules!

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

The bassist is a part of the rhythm section of a band. (Along with drums, percussion and rhythm guitar.) The purpose of a bassist, I suppose, is to help to maintain the rhythm while adding depth to the music.

IMHO

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

what is the real purpose of a basist?

Make people shake their rumps!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you think of a band as a mini-orchestra, then the bass covers the roles of the cello in the string section...or you could equate it with the tuba in the horn section....

Bass is sort of half-way between rhythm guitar and drums....helps the drummer to keep the tempo, rhythm guitarist looks to the bassist for the root notes....I know, that's a bit simplistic, but could you imagine any rock band without a bass player?

Led Zep? The Who? The Stones?

it's far easier to notice the absence of a bass guitarist than it is to actually define what they do....

I've recorded a few songs of my own that I've added bass to - they seem to have a fuller sound, I'd describe my role in my one-man-band as bassist to drive the song along....to add a little depth - to flesh the sound out a little - even on some occasions, to add melody.....

Bass can be whatever you want it to be - the fun thing is, you can start with just playing root notes, and it'll sound OK....but there's so much more you can do with it....

I've been at it about a year or so now, and I really enjoy the bass....gettting to the stage now where I'm writing my own bass-lines, I never thought I'd be able to do that....

So pick up that 4-string and start jamming.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote