Clear all

So I'm learning guitar...

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Is learning bass the same to some degree as far as notes, chords, etc...or am I in a whole new playground on this topic? I see some have different numbers of strings, but beyond that, I have no clue and would like to learn a little more. Thanks in advance :D

(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

A regular 4 string bass is tuned EADG, just like the lower four strings of your guitar. The notes are the same, 3rd fret on the E string is a G on both. The chords are mostly the same, you have to take into account not having the higher two strings, but you hardly ever "strum" a bass, you use arpeggios with chords. The bass can be as easy or challenging as you want it to be. You can learn to play just simple root notes in about 5 minutes and play with anybody, or you can spend years mastering scales, arpeggios, and even soloing. I don't know whether it is just playing bass, or going through David's book, but I have a much better grasp of basic music theory than I did about 3 weeks ago. Oh, and if you do decide to get a bass, David's book is Excellent. IMHO, playing bass for the short time that I have has been fun and is making me a better musician.

hope this helped some,

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Very cool, thanks. I may look into that book in the future :D

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

I can second everything redneckrocker said, though I'm not sure my improvements in music theory are necessarily related to david's book, there is lots in there, a lot of the information in his book has applied well to my guitar playing and not just to the bass (chord shapes used on the bass).

While generally playing the bass a lot of things transfer over, the way you play a bass tends to be quite a bit different (lack of strumming being the most obvious, it just sounds muddy). As much as the two instruments are alike, it's a whole new playground in a lot of ways (and therefore might inspire you in some new ways). A six string bass is less like a guitar than a 4 string bass.

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all. So what would make a person choose a 4 string over a 6 string or vs versa? Is one more common than the other to play?

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

The biggest reason to pick a 4 string is the are easier to play, they tend to cost less (maybe not a lot less but less) and they are more commonly used. Play around with a few 4 strings and 5 strings etc in a shop and the difference will be very obvious in terms of playability. If you find you really like the bass, you might look at a 5 or 6 string down the road, but I wouldn't recommend starting out on one, unless you find one at the shop that you really like and feels comfortable. A 4 string bass neck seems to feel about the same as a 6 string guitar neck, a 5 string neck is much wider and will feel very odd if you are used to the smaller necks of guitars/4 string basses.

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

5 and 6 string basses are fairly new, they weren't really around until the 80's and then only a couple. A 5 string bass is the same concept as a 7 string guitar, an extra low string is added to hit notes lower than on a 4 string. They are used primarily in metal but not always. A 6 string usually has one extra low string and one extra high string. Just taking a wild probably grossly wrong guess, I would say that about 90% of people play 4 string basses. And like Maliciant said, the necks on 5 and 6 strings are huge.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info...I'm kind of in this phase where everything is interesting to me right now. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

I have been in that phase for about 2 years now.... :lol:

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Is learning bass the same to some degree as far as notes, chords, etc...or am I in a whole new playground on this topic?

I just started learning bass a little bit; I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half. Here are some of my early observations, maybe it will help you ...

- I got a copy of David's book; it is a real nice starting point, and also covers quite a bit of theory, which I am sure will be helpful.
- I found that my knowledge about the fretboard and the notes translate well, at least for 4 string bass. Maybe a little more difficult for 5 string, but for the 4 string, the fact that the notes are exactly the same as the lower 4 strings of the guitar helps.
- If you are taking Guitar lessons, it is possible that your teacher plays a little bass. My teacher can play bass, and we agreed to a pattern of three guitar lessons, one bass lesson. I had the first bass lesson yesterday, and it was really helpful. Technique is really different on bass, and although I was trying diligently to follow the instructions in Davids book on how to strike the strings, a single lesson where I could see how my teacher does it, and having him correct my technique was really useful. I was able to pick up most of how to play a basic blues progression in that lesson as well, and I think most of that progress can be attributed to basic guitar knowledge.
- Another nice thing about bass: with guitar, I am at a stage where I am at a plateau. I need to make some breakthroughs to get to the next level. Since I am just starting out with bass, it is nice to have something where I can make some faster progress :-)

I got the bass only this monday, so all of this is "hot off the press"..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Wow, that is very cool. I'm not taking lessons at the moment but am hoping to do so in the near future. I've learned where almost all the notes are and remember most of them and am starting to work on chords. It would be pretty cool to think I could pick up a bass and be able to play it to some extent as well. :D

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Yes Yes, play the bass. Read what I wrote again - Play the bass. Play the bass.

One more 'note'. Don't get too afraid of the strings. Use a pick. (of like 1 mm thickness)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Yes Yes, play the bass. Read what I wrote again - Play the bass. Play the bass.

One more 'note'. Don't get too afraid of the strings. Use a pick. (of like 1 mm thickness)

Further, don't get too worried you'l hit a bum note. When you break it down you have about a 3-in-4 chance of hitting a note that is not dissonant. Get out there and hit some notes. The only 3 notes I don't like are a flat 5, aug 5, or a minor 2nd.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote