Clear all

"Use Me" by Bill Withers

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I can't seem to find a decent tab of the bass line intro for this song. I saw someone play it yesterday but I could not tab it fast enough. Any of you cellar dwellers play this song? I have the CD Howard & the White Boys rendition of this song and it's great. I'd love to play along with the CD.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I play it, Dennis. I'll show it to you when you come over later this week.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well aw-right! :D I'll print out several pages of blank chord/tab charts and get to writin'. I tried to watch one guy playing bass but his fingers were moving too fast for me to accurately write the riffs down.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I have this tingling feeling....

I think I can sense a new lesson from Dennis...

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey Dan, I don't know, being a strummer (as opposed to a lead player), I'll struggle with this song. I love the sound of the single picked notes. Powerful.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Tom (NoteBoat) showed me how to play this a couple of nights ago. I just tried it but I didn't have the CD going as a backing to get the right groove. Anyway, here's how it's played:

First vamp (13 picks)

1e: -----D E G E D G E G D E G C# E
2B: ---------------------------------------------------------
3G: ---------------------------------------------------------
4D: --------------5---------5---------5---------------------
5A: -----5----7-----7---5-----7--5------7----5----4---7--
6E: ----------------------------------------------------------

Second vamp (16 notes) is the same as first without the final E note adds 4 notes:

1e: -----D E G E D G E G D E G C# D F# G E
2B: ---------------------------------------------------------------------
3G: ---------------------------------------------------------------------
4D: --------------5---------5--------5--------------------4---5--------
5A: -----5----7-----7---5-----7--5-----7----5---4---5------------7---
6E: ----------------------------------------------------------------------

As an aside, Tom is just as nice in person as online. Glad I got to meet him. He's a pretty cool dude and wickedly smart about music. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Thanks, Dennis.

Oh, and I should have checked your notes better... the tab is right; the notes over it are a little off.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hey Dennis - now you can play "Wild Night" too...

EGEDBDE - same box.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Cool, a “two-for-one” deal here! Tom, I'll edit the post if the note names are wrong related to the tab. :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

D E G E D G E G D E G C# E

Should be

D E G E D G E D G E D C# E

and
D E G E D G E G D E G C# D F# G E

should be

D E G E D G E D G E D C# D F# G E

ReplyQuote