Skip to content
12-bar progression....

Notifications
Clear all

12-bar progression... Can anyone explain?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I hear a lot about 12-bar progression. I hear that it's mostly used in blues, and then I hear that nearly everyone implements it... But, more often than not, I never hear what it actually is.

I have a vague idea that it has something to do with a four-bar chord progression, broken up into three main parts, but I'm not sure how accurate that is, and whether or not it can be flexed.

I'm wondering, is how you change the four-bar progression over those three segments the choice of the artist, and is this used to create many 12-bar progressions in songs?

Basically, what is the 12-bar progression?

(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Generally speaking, it's like this

I I I I

IV IV I I

V IV I I

Each chord is 1 bar, 4 quarter notes, often played with a "shuffle" rhythm.

The last "I" bar is often replaced with a "turnaround", a sequence of chords that leads you from the V to the I.

Exactly which chords are used depends on the key:

Key I IV V
--------------------
C C F G7
G G C D7
D D G A7
A A D E7
E E A B7

In blues, the I and IV are sometimes played as dom7 chords too, contrary to classical theory.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The basic 12-bar pattern is the I-IV-V progression, where I, IV and V represent chords you'll be using. The 12 Bar progression is a recurring or turn around progression that consists of 12 measures called bars. the first chord.. I..is called the tonic and is played for the first four measures/bars. Then two bars of the ..IV.. chord called the sub-dominant and then back to the tonic..I..for two more bars then one bar of the dominant 7th ..V.. then one bar of the IV chord and back to the I chord for the final two measures

This pattern is repeated for an entire song. It can be played at different tempos, meaning fast or slow and everything in between. You'll hear it used quite often in millions of songs. That just the being there is also lots of variations Blues, Blue shuffle, boogie, rock, country you name it. it can be played forward or backward it's endless. Then every once in awhile someone gets creative and finds a new way or style to play it.

Hope I explained it for you to understand. it's a very important progression to practice and play.

Here's an example Mp3.. E 12 bar Boogie

Joe

ReplyQuote
 P0RR
(@p0rr)
Estimable Member

Here's a couple excellent articles that may help you

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=304

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=47

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Generally speaking, it's like this

I I I I

IV IV I I

V IV I I

Each chord is 1 bar, 4 quarter notes, often played with a "shuffle" rhythm.

The last "I" bar is often replaced with a "turnaround", a sequence of chords that leads you from the V to the I.

The last bar turnaround is usually the V7.

The classic 12 bar blues is also often extended to 16 bar, 20 bar, 24 bar, etc. by doubling up either the

IV IV I I

or the

V VI I V7

Lines as needed.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Excelent responces! I learned sometning, thanks!

John M

ReplyQuote