A Bit of Backup

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ainet-esharp)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi folks,

No I don't want a backup posse to go kick someones butt, I'm looking for some info about backing tracks and using a drum machines through my amp.

I have been playing for about 5 months now, I found out quite early on that I could get my fingers to make chord shapes easy and can pickup technique fairly quickly. I have a been focusing on technique rather than learning songs I figured that the more individual techniques I master the more ability I will have to master any songs I wish to cover.

I have recently changed my tutor, as I wanted a more academic approach to my tuiton. I would like to learn more about sight reading and theory. The tutor agrees that I have very good mechanical ability but my sense of timing needs work. He has been getting me to play over some of my favorite CDs which I really enjoy. He has brought the metronome out on occasion to help with timing.

I asked him if I should get a metronome for myself to practice with, he did not recommend it. He feels that I would be to mechanical in my approach and that for me it was better learned from the music.

I've been thinking on getting a drum machine to play over as playing along to different beats would help with my timing. Any insight into playing along with drum machines and backing tracks would be most helpful.

----------------------

And a 1-2-3-4.

(@alangreen)

Bizarre - a metronome turns up for rehearsal, unlike a drummer; drinks less beer than your average drummer; and doesn't start drumming loudly when you start tuning up in the corner. It also keeps pretty good time, which is all you want from a drummer.

Ultimately, a drum machine will give you a pretty good rhythm, and it'll sound far more interesting than a metronome. That said - I wouldn't be without my metronome.

Getting a drum machine is a fine idea. You should be able to run it through most normal amps although check out the Auxiliary input on your hi-fi as a workable alternative.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I have surround sound for my computer and I just put the plug that normally goes into my computer into my effects pedal (which has a drum machine). Sounds cool! Then I plug my guitar into my amp and that gives me two seperate place the sounds come out of.

ReplyQuote
(@ainet-esharp)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi Tracker,

I could get drum software for the computer, but I want something I can take to lessons so as "His Greatness" :lol: can show me what to do. He's on a big timing theme at the moment.

I was thinking about one of these http://www.harmony-central.com/Synth/Data/Alesis/SR_16_Drum_Machine-01.html

I was also thinking on putting some of them free drum loops you can get on the net http://www.superloops.com/listen.htm onto a CD and using them. Is it possible to get good quality drum loops on CD and would that be helful to play along with.

----------------

And a 1-2-3-4.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Check the Band in a Box discussion down in the Online Jams section...

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

with audacity(recording), acid pro 5(mixing) and acoustica beatcraft(drummachine) your all set to go! Good luck!

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote