Clear all

9 year old neice wants to learn- need instructional book/vid

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@voodoods)
Topic starter  

Hello!

I myself and a beginner (at the tender age of 32) and my neice has been bugging her mother and grandmother for about 2 years for a guitar.

They are getting her a little mini-strat for Xmas and a little practice amp.

But they wont have enough money for teacher led instruction so they asked me for advice on what materials to get her.

What stuff have you guys seen out there that is simple enough for beginners and fun enough for kids? They've asked for something other than a simple book- they'd like at least a CD with the stuff- would help as she can seem to learn alot through listening.

FYI my mom (her grandma) can read music, so notation will not be a problem. Also, she's learning clarinet in school, so that should help her with that side of things.

I'll be meeting with her every 2 weeks to check and correct form, and help her understand and answer any questions she has.

I've been playing for maybe 5-6 months, so I know enough to assist her, but not really teach... not sure where kids should start.

Thanks in advance!

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Have you looked into the Fender "Getting Started on Electric Guitar" DVD? It would certainly fit the criteria of "something other than a book." :)

Actually it's pretty good for the basics, as it covers open chords, moveable chords, scales, and has a few fun songs to learn. Doesn't offer much theory though.

Has some very positive user reviews at Amazon, too:
click here

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@voodoods)
Topic starter  

I've looked at the link you put up and that seems like an excellent start. We'll get it ordered.

Thanks for the info!

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

I'm personally using the Fender "Getting Started on Acoustic Guitar" DVD. I bought this one because I started with an acoustic rather than an electric. I'm not sure how similar the two are- acoustic vs. electric; the first part of it, which covers chords and scales, ought to be the same (in fact, on my DVD the instructor actually uses a Squier strat on those parts.) But if they are anything alike, I can personally vouch for the DVD; it's helped me along the first six months. It also has some practice trackes that continuously loop thast I think is a nice feature, there were three- in the keys of C, G, and E.

One thing is it jumps right to barre chords after the open chords and before things like scales and strumming patterns. So I'm not sure about how the lessons are sequenced (i for one am following them straight through and then using this site as a suppliment), but I suppose you don't necessarily follow them in order if you don't have to.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

songxpress tapes can't be beat

check musicyo.com the warner bros. link

ReplyQuote