Clear all

A dilemma

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@bushido360)
Topic starter  

Greetings all
I am of course new to to the guitarnoise forum, but i hope to be a helpful member.
I require help in a bit of a tricky situation, naturally on buying a new guitar. I would appreciate some helpful guidance.
I have been playng guitar fr about 2 years now, ostly metal, incuding Slayer, Mastodon, Trivium, 3 inches of blood, metallica and sabbath. That kind of stuff. I do also widdle sometimes in the blues, but not often.
I have been playing an Aria strat model, surprisingly reliable, that was bouht for around 100 pounds. I like th guitar, but i need to move on now. I have a price budget of around 150-300 pounds, and have been searching for a new guitar.
My first choice is a epiphone or possible a cheaper brand (gould) les paul model. I will try to get it in white, with gold hardware, because i love the look, much like the trivium lead guitarist plays.
I can get this model in my local guitar shop for arout 170 pounds, which i think is great. I played this, and found the tone really good, and the neck comfortable. I loved the sound as well as the stylings and was overall impressed.
Then I tried another guitar. I believe the model is an "AD 350 DLX." Its orange-red and i cant remember the brand name, and cost a mere 140 pounds. I was originally going to buy the les paul, but the dude in the shop noticed me shredding loads on it and said i should try this one ou. I didnt much like the styling and look of the thing, but when i played it... dude, i was blazing up and down the neck like steve vai. Well, not really like steve vai, but pretty awesome by my standards. He had to wrench the thing off me, i loved the sheer playability of the flatter neck. But i couldnt bring myself to buy it, because, foolish though this may seem, i hated the look of the thing.
Im not a stupid kid who only buys for looks, but i seriously LOVE and i mean love, the style of a white les paul..
I need replies now, because theres only one les pal left in the store, and i need to decide soon. Im trusting you guys to help me, so please do.
Thanks very much for all help
Bushido360

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Well from what it sounds like, I say you go with the white les paul. Since you like it a whole lot more, it seems that you'd be more eager to play it, rather than a guiatr you can play good with, but hate looking at the darn thing

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Noone can make that decision for you dude. I'd go with playability over looks any day of the week, but others might disagree.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Noone can make that decision for you dude.

100% Correct!
I'd go with playability over looks any day of the week, but others might disagree.

I agree, but I find that I will hunt down the color if I want that axe. Yes, it depends on the playability of the new found axe in the color I want to decide if I buy it.

So again, 100% Correct!

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

How a guitar looks is a very immportant factor on whether I will buy it or not.. call me shallow :wink:

Of course I'm not saying I'll buy a really nice lookin guitar that sounds like crap. But I would never buy a guitar I dont like looking at!

BTW - Went to see Alexisonfire and The Used tonite.... wow!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN 8)

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Hey welcome to GN, but just play the guitars and see what sounds the best and get that

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

There seems to be an echo in this thread.

"You have to decide for yourself".

And I feel strongly that looks and sound are both important. If you don't like the way it looks or sounds you won't play it but in the end sound is the most important to me.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I did it again. I forgot to welcome you to GN

Welcome

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote