Clear all

a little help...

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Alright, I have a few questions. First, I have actually been trying to teach myself the guitar for almost a year now, but I don't feel like I am making any progress and I am thinking about getting some lessons. Anyone have any tips? Also, I have a fender stratocaster thats in alright condition. It's my first electric and I was only going to use it until I got good enough to pick out another. I was thinking about a telecaster but I am not real positive of the differences...can someone help me out?

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN.

Your strat is probably a nice guitar as it is. As you get more familiar with the sounds of the different guitars and also get a feel for the sound you want, then that is when you should start shopping. It's always fun to go into a GC and look and play what's there. And that's free. :D

As a long time musician and a beginner guitar player, I started taking lessons about 2 months ago. I actually took December off due to work and other obligations but the amount of basic info you'll gain from an instructor can give you months of things to learn and practice and open your eyes and ears to many things you'll only maybe find on your own.

There are many factors as to if a teacher/instructor is right for you. Time and money are probably to two most deciding factors as to whether or not to take lessons. To me, it's invaluable to get good basic fundamental "good habits" the first thing. Then the rest gets easier with time.

Enjoy your learning journey and your stay at GN.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

AudioBoy~ Welcome to GN,
Getting a teacher is a great idea when starting out.
picking the wrong teacher however can actually set you back a bit. (personal experiance, your milage may vary)

that said, if you know others you trust that play guitar take them with you when going to interview prospective teachers.
Also, check out the lessons here as GN is "The" place to get started.

#4491....

ReplyQuote