Clear all

12-String set-up

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm posting this query in the beginner's forum, I'm almost too embarrassed to ask what most of you will think is a pretty obvious answer, but oh well...

I got a 12-string a few months back, the general consensus of opinion seemed to be to tune it down two steps....I did, had a play with the action and screwed it up completely....it's been sitting in a corner gathering dust till a few days ago, when I put it back in standard tuning and had a further mess with the action, got it sounding something like....

Now I've never changed the strings on this since I bought it....it is strung like so.....

E A D G
Thin Thick / Thin Thick / Thin Thick / Thin Thick

(the B and E pairs are a pair of 13's and a pair of 9's)

So what I'd like to know is, is this in fact the correct configuration?

When I look over the top of the fretboard, as a right handed player, the bottom (LOW) E string is nearest to my eye....should the thickest Bottom E or the thinnest bottom E string be nearest to my eye?

Like I said, it may seem a dumb question....but then, they're only easy if you know the answers!!!!!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

You are correct. As you hold a 12 string the low E should be your first string looking down at the guitar. The very first string should be the thin one.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

wait for dhodge to come and then all hell will break lose :lol:

No , actually , vic you can check out his lesson on 12 strings.

Rahul

ReplyQuote