Notifications
Clear all

inside alternate picking

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@chaosnova)
Topic starter  

I've been playing guitar for about 8 months now, and about three month ago i started to learn alternate picking. Single string and outside alternate picking came easily, but i'm having trouble picking inside the strings. Everyone says you must arch/curve your wrist to pick like this, and i've worked on several riffs and parts of solos that require inside alternate picking, and i haven't made any improvement in about 2 months, and it looks like i'm not going anywhere with this, and i'll never be able to do it right, or play solos. Any tips? Thanks for any help :D

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure why you'd need to arch your wrist more - I don't. I keep it in the same general position no matter what strings I'm picking.

Any picking pattern is a matter of practice, of getting a feel for where those strings are. One thing you want to do is make sure the guitar is always in the same position relative to your body - don't have it higher one day and lower the next, or farther left/right, or the neck at different distances from your fretting hand's shoulder.

Then work at picking exercises. The simplest is to just close your eyes and call out string numbers at random - as you call them, pick the string.

There are a lot of really good picking exercises in Leavitt's Modern Method for Guitar (the Berklee series books), but you'll need to read standard notation to use them.

Not that standard notation is a bad thing :))

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It shouldn't take any special wrist angle. You've just gt to get used to making the inside picking motion.

ReplyQuote