Clear all

A major

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

just started out. when i try and play a major the 4th or d string always buzzes cus i cant get my first finger close enough to the fret i think any tips. help! :cry:

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

This will seem awkward at first... but try fingering it 2-1-3. Your fingers will get closer to the frets. It's also got the advantage of being an easy change to Amaj7 or A7, and not bad to Am7, C, and many others.

If you're playing a lot in the key of E, though, try 2-3-4 fingering. Your little finger is thinner than the index, so that helps with the space issues, and it's an easy shift to move fingers 2 & 3 from the E as a 'block'.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Or be happy with A7. :lol:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Deano

A lot of people have this problem. And Noteboat's suggestion is a good solution.

I learned it by

1. Put your first (index / pointer) finger on the G string 2nd fret
2. Put your middle finger OVER the first finger, and fret the D string
3. Put your ring finger on the B string.

Now - note that you have formed a triangle? Pull your fingers away from the guitar and look at them end on - yeah? triangle?

The secret in this shape, is to use the first (index, pointer) finger to push the other 2 fingers right up to the fret wire.

With practice, this is easy - and gives you numerous options as to changing to the next chord.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote