Clear all

Settings

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@hillibilly)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I just got a new amp and was wodering about different settings for different music. Like what sound i put volume, treble. mid, bass. For like country blues and other types of music.

(@noel-iu)
Estimable Member

Hi
Maybe if you post what model and brand of amp yuo bought we could help you with more acuracy... not that I know much about settings, but I love googling! :D
take care

http://www.freewebs.com/noel-iu

http://noel-iu.dmusic.com/

ReplyQuote
(@death_to_theory)
Trusted Member

settings usually come with the ap check the instructions

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ignore any settings anyone will give you. For the rest of your life. It is so totally dependent on your other equipment and playing style that you really need to figure it out for yourself. Turn those knobs, find out what it's all about and then go find the sound you're after.

ReplyQuote
(@alexduller)
Trusted Member

One thing you coudl do is to write down certain settings that you like (especially if there are lots of knobs). I often find a new settings that I like, but get bored and start fiddling again and forget the old settings that I liked...just a suggestion..

alex ;)

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5328/guitarsig6bw.gif

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Is there a website with amp settings 101.
I know specific sounds would just be experiment and see but what about the basics?
Lets say things like Shape, Reverb, Wah, Heavy or light distortion, flange.
What are the basics and if I am looking for a certain sound what direction should I look in.
Say for example the Lead/Solo on American Woman were the guitar has that sort of buzzing almost bee like sound, what effects should I look at ?
Basic country twang?

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

There are some sort of "normal" eq settings to use, but really, eq is all about tweaking the sound you make so that it sounds exactly like YOU want it. There are no rules. One thing that I found helps is to play the guitar while you have a friend move each of the knobs from 0 to 10 and back down again, and see how it effects the sound.

There are a few generalizations about some styles you are likely familiar with:

Metal's stereotypical eq contains what is commonly referred to as "scooped mids", that being mid set to 0, and treble and bass set to 10. Distortion/gain/preamp volume up.

Hard rock normally has the highs and mids up (say 8) with the bass on 5. Turn your distortion down a little bit and find an electric blues sound.

Jazz tends to have the highs down with the mids up all the way and the bass in the middle. Turn the 'tone' on your guitar down and you'll find a very warm jazzy sound.

Hopefully hearing these will help familiarize you with what the eq does and lead you towards sculpting your own sound. Good luck.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote