A second guitar, buying advice

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 T-72
(@t-72)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well I started playing 2 months ago, and bought a (mexican) Stratocaster. I generally like it, it plays a lot nicer than the other guitars I have used that friends have. But, even though I haven't started long ago I know I will keep with it so really I'd like to invest in a guitar closer to the top of the range. Whilst cost is always at least some kind of issue, I don't mind spending the money on nice things, so I am prepared to go fairly high here.

I should also say that I have not definitely decided to get a new one, and at the moment am just looking for advice. So any suggestions are appreciated.

PS I know 0 about guitars, bear that in mind with any answers. :P

Cheers

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Wait till you've been playing longer. You'll decide what you like.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 T-72
(@t-72)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

You'll decide what you like.

Would you say its more to do with personal preference than anything then?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yes, maybe wait a little longer. But in that time try out other guitars. You said you've played guitars your friends have. What did you like about your Strat that you didn't like about theirs? I they were Strats - or Strat-type guitars - but not a easy to play or good sounding as yours, then maybe you should try some 'Gibson' type guitars if you can. Something like a Les Paul or an SG. You might like that type of guitar better than a Strat. Those are the two main types - the Fender (and copies), and the Gibson (and copies). You should investigate both types before thinking of upgrading to something new.

If your friends on the other hand had Gibson type guitars, like an Epiphone Les Paul for instance, and you didn't like them, then maybe it's because you don't like that *type* of guitar generally. This is apart from string gauges and string height and all that. Just the way the guitar looks and feels and sounds. If you've tried the LP and SG type guitars and don't like them, maybe it's because you already have the type of guitar that fits you - the Fender-type Strat. If that's the case, then maybe when you upgrad, you could just get a higher end Stratocaster.

The thing is, give it more time and try out different types of guitars. You might be a Gibson-type player, or you might be a Fender-type player; one of the two basic designs and design concepts in electric guitars.

Once you decide which type you like, then you can try out all the different models in each camp - Fender type: Strats, Cyclones, Teles, Jazzmasters, etc, or the Gibson type: Les Pauls, SGs, Explorers, Jazz boxes. There's two main avenues, but each has a bunch of different cross-streets. Determine what it is you like and don't like about each of the avenues, then investigate all the side-streets.

Hope this helps. :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Would you say its more to do with personal preference than anything then?Yep! Like DemoEtc said, try out lots of 'em! Somebody said on a board recently, "Sooner or later you'll run across one that you'll be afraid somebody else'll buy if you don't grab it. That's your guitar." That may be as good advice as any.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Would you say its more to do with personal preference than anything then?Yep! Like DemoEtc said, try out lots of 'em! Somebody said on a board recently, "Sooner or later you'll run across one that you'll be afraid somebody else'll buy if you don't grab it. That's your guitar." That may be as good advice as any.
:D

That's exactly how I got my Schecter Omen 6. It just hung there calling to me. :)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

That's how I got mine, except it's my voices that say buy it. That's how I got so many, one for every voice.

ReplyQuote