Clear all

A Weird Discovery...

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@satch_da_man)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was just messing around with PowerTab, and found something very weird. Start a chord on the 5th string, anywhere then for each string above the last fret, add one fret, ie:

---------
--6-----
--5-----
--4-----
--3-----
--------

It will be a C chord. Start anywhere on the fretboard, rooted on the 5th string and it will be a C. I wonder if there are any other repeating patterns that are always a particular chord?

(@satch_da_man)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Maybe you want to ignore this post. The Power Tab Chord Identification tool is saying all these chords are C's, but now that I look at them it doesn't make sense. Different notes in each one. Is this a bug in PowerTab? I hadn't noticed any problems with the chord id tool before.

Sorry if this is a dumb post...

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

---------
--6-----
--5-----
--4-----
--3-----
--------

The notes there are C, F#, C and F....a C5aug?

Next fret up, notes would be C#, G, C# and F#....no resemblance there to ANY C chord, or derivative thereof. Must be a glitch somewhere.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

well this is why you shouldn't use a program to tell you how to build a chord :P

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I "C" what you mean

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote