Clear all

Ability to bend related to springs in the back of the guitar

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

When bending a note high up the fret board, I often hit other string whilst bending and various unwanted sounds occur. It is also hard for me to keep the string from slipping from under my finger.

I was wondering if the springs in the back of the guitar could affect string tention and thus if I took one away, would it make the strings easier to bend/more flexible, or soemthing?

Or is it just a case of practice, practice, practice?

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Or is it just a case of practice, practice, practice?
Uhhhh... Yup.. what you said.... :o :o :o :o :o

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

use a spare finger to mute where needed and use another finger to assist with the bending

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Palm muting (w/ the right hand) helps mute out those unwanted noises! If you are bending a string towards the ceiling, use your right hand to deaden any sounds from the string above it (ex. if you are bending the B string, deaden the G string). If you are bending down towards the floor, the deaden the string immediately below. That should deaden most of the unwanted string noise.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

heh. Knew it all along...

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Sometimes if the action is too low, it's hard to keep the string on a 'good' part of your fingertip while you're bending it. It also has something to do with the angle of your finger as you're bending the string. Sometimes, if the fingers are too straight up and down in relation to the fretboard, the string can also slip out easier.

The trem springs, in a way, make bending harder, because as you're bending up, they're stretching, which lowers the pitch, and you have to bend a little more to achieve the pitch you're going for. Hardtails are, I guess, easier to bend. You can get used to bending on a trem guitar though; just takes, as you said, practice.

Plus, I believe a majority of trem guitars that are available are 25.5" scale length ('Fender' scale length), which makes bending just a tad bit harder. Well, maybe 'harder' is not a good word - more like 'it takes a bit more strength maybe. There are trem guitars with the 'Gibson' scale length, but when I say majority, it's that there's more Fender styled guitars on the market.

Anyhow, hope this helps. Just keep working at it, maybe raise your action a little bit and watch the angle of your fingers.

Best regards.

ReplyQuote