Skip to content
About the left hand...

Notifications
Clear all

About the left hand...(probably an easy one)

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@kassiopeia)
Topic starter  

Hi. I've been playing for about 2 years, but I've never had a teacher or any sort of person who could show me the basics. So I have to admit that I've developped a quite sloppy technique! While playing the guitar, I put my pinky and 3rd fingers on the pickguard and set a "pivot" point for my fret-hand at the bottom of the neck and my ankle is barely bent. And I don't bend my pinky, it is usually straight; so it's easy to see my pinky-fingerprints on the frets! Yeah I exaggerated it but my pinky practically "hammers" the frets while playing (And no, I'm not trying to get a job in a circus as a guitarist-clown!).This happens especially while playing the upper strings. Should touching the bottom of the neck be avoided at all costs ? Should I bend my ankle? And what about the pinky? Should it be bent like the first and the second fingers?

(@corbind)
Noble Member

I'm a little lost here. Your ankle? Could you describe a bit more in detail what you're doing? I personally put my picking hand pinky on the pick guard when I'm picking out single notes or arpeggiating. When I'm strumming chords my picking hand doesn't touch the guitar.

So, could you explain a bit more about your question and we'll give you some good replies.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote