Clear all

Acoustic/Electric or Acoustic Steel String from a Nylon

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've got a no-name classical guitar that I've been playing around with for a few months. It's about 25 years old, so it sounds nice, very mellow. Although I've learned a little bit about fingerpicking, I'm mostly using it for acoustic rock guitar (using a pick - which I've heard is bad for the strings).

I'm planning on upgrading to a steel string at some point, but the way I see it, steel or nylon string, the fretting and strumming is more or less the same - just the sound is a bit different.

So, my questions are related:
1) How long will it be before the classical is "holding me back"?
2) If I get an acoustic, should it be just acoustic, or acoustic/electric? My friend says an acoustic/electric is just more versatile, especially considering I have a classical already. And, in case I want to plug in, or record myself on a computer, it'll be much easier. I guess my budget is under $500.
3) Does cutaway vs. not-cutaway make a difference?

Thanks for your help!

300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

redpoint,
Welcome to the forum! Steel strings on a classical is a NO-No! The neck will not take the tension of steel strings. Most classicals do not have a truss rod to remove the bow. Not sure about the pick on nylon, but I think you are OK there. Differance that I am aware of and I am not a expert on classical, joins the body at the 12th fret ve 14th for acoustic, neck is wider and body is not as wide.
On your new, I would go acoustic electric as you have the option for an amp if you desire or you can mike the sound. On the cutway, I think that is personsl preference. You really need to try on in a guitar shop and see whay you think for your self. You need someone like Nick who does alot with acoustic to give a better answer here.
Welcome!

John M

ReplyQuote
(@hawken)
Trusted Member

If you're looking to play "acoustic rock" then you would be doing yourself a favor to buy a steel string. The neck size on a classical is "fatter" than a typical steel string and can make some chords more difficult to play...not to mention the nylon strings don't give you the same sound.

I would recommend a standard dreadnought sized guitar. You can find plenty of stuff within your $500 budget. If you're looking to get something with a pickup then I would recommend taking a look at Takamine...they make a nice acoustic/electric. Of course, the only reason to get something with a pickup is if you're gong to plug it in....only you would know whether that's gonna happen or not. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Yeh, putting steel stings on a classical is a bad idea, when I first started playing and didnt know anything I did that... Luckily I used very fine strings and it didnt bow the neck, but it sure did a job on the nut and saddle, I guess they're allot softer on these guitars.

Now, I think, that you'd want to get an acoustic/electric, as u said it's much easier to record yourself with on, and if u ever play with a drummer it's nice to not have a mic sitting right infront of u the whole time. I personally like the cutaway's because u can get allot higher on the fretboard, which is my favourite place :D

Give yourself some time at the gc to find something u like, try everything but personally I would be happier with the acoustic/electric cutaway...

Good Luck and let us know what u decide on!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

absolutly no.Get a new folk guitar if u love steel. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just have nylon strings on the guitar, so it should be fine.

I've heard that an acoustic sounds better than an acoustic-electric, and certainly for the same amount of money you get a better acoustic than you do an acoustic-electric (although you are paying for some electronics in that case).

I guess the consensus is learning on a nylon string is a bit harder, but not actually counterproductive.

ReplyQuote
(@darren)

My opinion is that if you're going to play rock, steel sounds better than nylon. This does not stop me from playing rock on my nylon acoustic, though. (I don't like the feel of steel strings.)

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice. The only thing mechanically difficult to do on my classical is to play the higher frets. What kind of acoustic guitar music uses those higher frets (and thus makes a cutaway useful?)

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Craig Chaquico plays a lot like that. IN case you do not know him, lead guitar for Jefferson Starship for 17 years. On his own right now and doing well. Rock and blues both ues the lower frets. It is all in the sound you are after. http://www.craigchaquico.com/

John M

ReplyQuote