Clear all

Super Slinkys

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ainet-esharp)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Upgraded from a Pacifica 112 recently to a Fender Mex Fat Strat. Anyhoo strings needed changing after about a month and a bit, so got some 9 gauge super slinkys. The problem is they feel sloppy the previous strings were a 9 and there was a good bit more tension in them.

I think everythings tuned up right gave em a good stretch they play ok just dont like the feel. The question is if anyone can answer is why are they so damned sloppy and why did the other strings feel tighter. Anyone recommend a better 9 gauge brand save me buying up the whole shop stock. I don't know what was on the Fender originally.

--------------------

And a 1-2-3-4.

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

from what you say, it sound slike you're using stock fender strings, so you might want to try restringing with fender strings. If you can, try out the fender standard tension super bullets, the ones that dont have a circluar end to it

ReplyQuote
(@shift)
Estimable Member

I would say this is something you are gonna have to experiment with. As everyone will have different preferences.

While I'm relatively a newbie at guitar, I've only tried 3 brands of strings.

EB slinkys, I currently have on feel kinda slippery and plastic type of feel. Tonewise, they are a bit dark sounding to me, the tone of them, hasn't changed since I put them on. So they seem to last a long time.

GHS boomers, I liked how they feel. Very bright sounding outta the package. Tone dropped after a couple hours. But it stayed that same way for a long time, until the tone just died in them.

D'Addario, my favorite, so far. I loved how they feel. They seem to lose tone consistely, but last decent amount of time.

Like I said, just my opinion.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

In my opinion, Super Slinky 9's are a little softer (or at least feel that way) than other 9's. My guess however is that if you think they feel real sloppy you may have gone from original 10's to 9's which would pronounce it even more.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

I did the buy a pack of every type of string I can find and try them all for a week, and settled on EB-super slinky. Having tried just about everything, yes they do feel a bit softer and sloppy. Defantly not elixers.

If you don't like em just rip them off, you're only out 7 bucks.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Are you sure that mexi strat had 9's? I always understood that Fender and Gibson sent their stuff out with 10's from the factory. I just bought a standard MIM a bit over a month ago (made Feb 22, 2005) and it came with 10's. That is probably why the strings feel sloppy, you're used to the 10's and 9's are softer and harder to control. The same happened to me when I first got my strat. I was used to the 12's on my accoustic and I ended up pressing too hard and bending strings too easily on the strat. Like you say, it felt "sloppy".

I just did the first string change on mine yesterday and got a pack of EB regular slinkies (10's), and D'Addario XL 10's. I put the EB's on and really like the feel and tone a lot more than the Fender bullets that came with the guitar.

I'll have to try the D'Addario's when these wear out...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@ainet-esharp)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi folks,

Thanks for the advice it could be that it was tens on the Fender but they felt like the same gauge/size as whats on my Pacifica which are 9's. Having said all that I'm getting quite used to them now chord playings a piece of cake way down on the neck and stummings a breeze. Jury's still out on Scales Notes and Picking I think my 8 year old daugter could do 2 step bending on the 3rd effortlessly seems a bit like cheating :lol:

Think I'll stick with them a little longer their not bad just different from what was on their, I can be quite heavy handed lots of weight lifting and press ups on me knuckles :lol:. No worries about breaking them I now know why their called Super Slinkys you can bend em like elastic bands. :P probably try the 10's next time round.

------------------

And a 1-2-3-4.

ReplyQuote