Clear all

Acoustic Percussive "Slap"

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Quick question, how do you do that acoustic percussive slap (for lack of a better way to describe it)? I've been listening to a lot of Jack Johnson lately and he does this a lot. I assume he is just muting the strings with this left hand while doing a quick strum. However, when I try it that way it doesn't sound right. Any suggestions?

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I think what you are looking for was covered by David in the For what it's Worth lesson

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

simply form your chord. as you strum instantaneously bring the fleshy part of your right hand plam against the strings just on or before the bridge.

sometimes I lift off the chord ever so slightly and strum/palm mute.

if done correctly the strings dont resonate.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Nils, dogbite, that's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I found this on the Slowhand Blues Guitar site I posted a few days ago:

(Also called snapping) Well known from bass players and funk music, this technique is also used in Blues guitar, especially in acoustic Blues guitar. Listen to John Lee Hooker! Just lift up the string (best done with thumb or thumb/index finger, but also a pick works) and let it slap upon the fretboard. You get a very percussive sound.

EC Examples from Unplugged:
Intro of "Hey, Hey"
Ending of "Malted Milk".

Slowhand Blues Guitar

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

that is correct, but specific I feel to funk type blues. on my electric I pull strings often. it maked]s a nice sound when it hits the pickup.

I think the original post was for that acoustic rythm slap.

nice post mikepse

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

that is correct, but specific I feel to funk type blues. on my electric I pull strings often. it maked]s a nice sound when it hits the pickup.

I think the original post was for that acoustic rythm slap.

nice post mikepse

Thanks...I would assume you'd need light strings to accomplish this...like .09's? I couldn't imaging doing this with .12's

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the link Mike, but dogbite is correct. I was trying to get that little "chunk" that some guys get on the acoustic between notes. Adds a very nice touch and I was trying to immulate it for a song I'm working on.

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks for the link Mike, but dogbite is correct. I was trying to get that little "chunk" that some guys get on the acoustic between notes. Adds a very nice touch and I was trying to immulate it for a song I'm working on.

Jason

You may want to check out the bass player from the Stray Cats...he does that a lot...and I'm sure most rock-a-billy bass players use this technique.

ReplyQuote
(@lucam)
Eminent Member

I think that Jack Johnson just releases the pressure of the left hand to have the percussive strum. It works with bar chords and he uses bar chords most of the times.
It is easier to see than to explain, take a look at the "Sessions@AOL" videos here:
http://music.aol.com/artist/main.adp?artistid=468749

I hope it helps, I am trying to get his sound too...
I think Banana Pancakes could be an excellent "Song for beginners"...

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

You may want to check out the bass player from the Stray Cats...he does that a lot...and I'm sure most rock-a-billy bass players use this technique.

A lot of Rockabilly bass players are playing upright basses and are actually slapping the fretboard with their picking hand to get that extra percussion. Check out Johnny Sciascia from the Tarbox Ramblers for a fine example of this. It can be like having a second drummer.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

There are many ways to get that percussive sound and depending on what guitar you are playing or which actual sound you want one or the other works better.

1) Tap body of guitar with finger tips and strings with palm at the same time. Works well on an acoustic because you pick up the hollow body sound.

2) Palm mute. Place palm or side on hand on strings near bridge and strum dead strings. Works on either electric or acoustic.

3) Slightly lift the fretting fingers without removing them either during or right after strum. Works well on either but only works for strings your fingers are on or have control of. Works real well with barre chords.

There are probably more but these are the ones I use all the time.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I worked on this last night for a bit and got pretty close. As with everything else, it'll take some practice. I just love the way it sounds and what it adds to the song.

Lucam, I'll take a look when I get home tonight. Thanks for the link. I could see why it works best with barre chords and I'll try it like that tonight.

Thanks again everyone!

Jason

ReplyQuote