Clear all

Difficult chords

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So a last week I told my teacher I wanted to work on some blues and get it down real good. I also told him I needed to work on chord changes. So here's the 12 bar chords he has me working on
E||--3----3----6----3----||
B||--3----5----6----5----||
G||--4----3----6----5----||
D||--3----5----5----x----||
A||--5----3----6----5----||
E||--3-------------------||

Anyone else find that hard to play? Of course spread it out for 12 bar. I can get most of them ok(muting a few strings here and there but man that last one is tough.

(@1st_act)
Estimable Member

Oh ya,

I'll get those chords, but not real fast,,,and definately not in any rhythm. The higher up the neck I go, the harder it is to finger bar chords.

One of these days...we'll all be finding barre chords as fast as we get to single notes.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'm getting better but I have to play it in classical position

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

This is basically the double barre chords I asked about a few weeks ago...

You can either use your index & pinky or index & ring fingers...

They're tough at first but it's getting there

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

That Eb9 isn't too bad for me. I was just looking at the C/D, why does he have me playing the D on the A string? Couldn't I just leave the D open on the D String?

Maybe for finger stretches.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

why does he have me playing the D on the A string? Couldn't I just leave the D open on the D String?
Yes, for that position you could play the open D, but to make the chord movable (like all the others) you'd want to mute the D string and play the A string. In other words, if you want to change keys and play the same chord shape elsewhere on the neck, you'd need the A string.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If you've got barre chords down, the first two should be easy. That is just G7 and C7.

E||--3i----3i----6r----3i----||
B||--3i----5p----6r----5p----||
G||--4m----3i----6r----5r----||
D||--3i----5r----5i----x-----||
A||--5r----3i----6m----5m----||
E||--3i----------------------||

This is how I would fret these chords.

The third chord is an Eb9 ( E flat 9th) chord. The last chord is a C/D slash chord. So this is a C Major chord with a D played on the bass.

With the Eb9 chord, use your ring finger to barre the bottom three strings. It helps to roll your ring finger on it's side (the side facing your pinky).

For the C/D chord, let your middle finger lightly touch the D string muting it.

These chords might be a little difficult now, but with a little practice they will become very easy and natural to you. So, just stay at it. You will also like these chords because they are more colorful sounding than regular Major chords.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote