Skip to content
Acoustic strings on...

Notifications
Clear all

Acoustic strings on electric guitar. Does that work?

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@philippe)
Topic starter  

I'd like to try putting acoustic strings on my electric guitar. Would this work? If so, how would it sound (on a tele).

(@philippe)
Topic starter  

Oh, and I do mean acoustic steel strings, not nylon strings... I'm not that dumb.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Bigger gauge means a lower note for the same tension (acoustics have a lot more string tension than electrics). If you didn't want to put any extra tension on the guitar you'd be looking at a much lower tuning.

I don't think any change in sound of the string itself would make much of a difference compared to that, but I could well be wrong. Just thoughts off the top of my head, really... :)

Is this something you're trying out of desire or necessity?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It will affect the sound a little. Acoustic strings have a steel core and brass windings. Electric pickups work via magnetism. Electric strings have a steel core and steel windings. The electric strings are a little more magnetic. They just might not be as loud or bright sounding. As for the guage, acoustic strings usually have a wound G string. To get that in electrics you have to go to 13's. I think this is where the tension difference would come in. 4 wound strings instead of 3. You can get some pretty light acoustic strings. As light as a set of electric 10's. I just don't know about the cut of the nut slot on the G string. Might need to be widened to accomodate the wound string, then if you go back to electrics it might be too wide.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The nonmagnetic winding of acoustic brass or bronze wound strings makes the output from those strings weak. Most folks don't like it, but I know a few who do.

On the other hand, nickel electric strings sound GREAT on acoustics, IMO.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

The nonmagnetic winding of acoustic brass or bronze wound strings makes the output from those strings weak. Most folks don't like it, but I know a few who do.

On the other hand, nickel electric strings sound GREAT on acoustics, IMO.

I have been known to put EB super slinkys on my Blueridge acoustic. Sounds great with the Duncan Performer single coil pick up and its easy to play and bend strings :D

By Brother-in-law put some bronze strings on his Silvertone electric and it sounds very bluesy 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

As for the guage, acoustic strings usually have a wound G string. To get that in electrics you have to go to 13's. I think this is where the tension difference would come in. 4 wound strings instead of 3.
Just the gauge itself would make a difference to the tension (hence needing to adjust the truss rod if you change gauges too drastically), and acoustic strings are generally heavier gauge than electric strings.

Think of one string by itself - thicker ones are a lower pitch than thinner ones, so for the same tension you get a lower note with the thicker gauge. If you want the same note you have to have more tension.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@brucie97)
Eminent Member

...acoustic strings usually have a wound G string...

Haha I saw that and actually forgot what I was reading.. I always thought my acoustic looked better wearing boxers as opposed to a G string :P

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Just be glad you didn't see me break my G string.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

When my G strings get old .... they get funky.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote