Clear all

new guitar

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

so I sold my old computer today and I now have enough money for a epiphone les paul custom someone is selling locally. I'm so pumped!!
I was wondering if I'll notice a huge difference in tone between this and my old $100 fender copy? I only have a VoxAD30VT amp and always thought that tube amps were the way to go...

any comments welcome.

(@welshman)
Estimable Member

Not sure as I have never played the Fender but my bet is that once you plug in your Les Paul you'll squeal and sleep with it! I know I did ... one of the better purchases I have ever made.

D

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

will there be a differance in tone between a fender copy and a epi lp?
depends a lot on the pup config don't it?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

on the pup config? huh

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

what I'm wondering is if my amp will hold my guitar back?

Like even my crappy fender copy from the 80's sounds alright through this amp...I'm not sure if this guitar will even make a huge difference ?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

on the pup config? huh

yes, such as single pickups or humbuckers?
as far as the VOX goes ,from what i've heard that is a fine little amp.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You should notice a big difference in tone. Fenders are very bright and twangy sounding compared to Les Pauls. Les Pauls have a fuller, richer tone. Generally speaking, Fenders will have more of a Blues tone, where a Les Paul will have more of a Rock tone. You can't say one has better tone than the other as everyone has their own preference for tone. But if I was in a Blues band I would want a Strat, in a Rock band I want an LP.

The LP should be quieter at high volumes as well because of the humbucker pickups. Single coils tend to make a little noise at volume. You don't hear it when you play, you hear it when you don't.

You may also notice that the humbuckers have quite a bit more output than single coils, you generally get more gain when you use distortion.

As for playability, most say a Strat plays easier than an LP, but I find just the opposite. The LP has a shorter scale which is good for reach, but I think they are more difficult to play high on the fingerboard.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wideawake)
Trusted Member

I bought this off ebay a few dyas and still waitting for it to arrive, was previously using a Fender mustang :> Can't wait, and it's in my favourite colour too :P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200065425703&rd=1&rd=1

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sure there will be a difference. Some would tell you a Stratocaster and a Les Paul are not even the same instrument. They are both however electric guitars, but you will see. They have very distinctive yet different tones.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well thanks for all the replies people! Now I'm really excited to try out the new guitar :D

I actually should notice a huge difference because I'm sure my crappy strat copy doesn't sound even close to as good as a real fender...so a nice les paul should be a huge change for me :P

I was also thinking of picking up a pedal as well after I get the guitar because I'll have some extra money leftover. I was thinking an OD pedal because I'm really interested in blues...what do you all think?

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

you will notice a big difference, and get the od pedal 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote