Notifications
Clear all

Advice on learning

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@daveprice)
Topic starter  

I can play a few songs and some songs I learned a long time ago from memory. My ten year old son and Myself want to know the best way for us to learn to play the accoustic guitar. Should I spend money on lessons? or is there a particular book or course we should use? I don't care to be a star, we just want to be able to pick up a guitar on a scout trip and play something that someone would enjoy hearing. Sholud we learn to read music? Scales? I have looked at so many methods that I just need some help sorting it all out.
Thanks Dave.

(@guitarmonkey90)
Trusted Member

hi dave i think if you can afford some lessons then go for it youll learn twice as fast and gain a lot more knowledge it might even be worth checking out your local college i know my local runs guitar coures for begginers and intermediates and the course is really cheap youll meet people in the same boat. you can buy lots of easy chord song books that are great for beginers there cheap to buy and sound for busking style tunes i think its normally the dull stuff that progresses you to the next level scales and finger exercise are all good even if your only interested in strumming chords if your only interested in strumming then i dont think reading music is all that important theres enough tab about these days its got its down sides but if your gonna know the song your playing tab n chord books be fine theres no substitue for practice hope this helps but this is one fishes opinion in a very big sea the internets a great learning tool also there doesnt seem to be much you cant find these days

"thats alright baby i still got ma guitar"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

hi dave i think if you can afford some lessons then go for it youll learn twice as fast and gain a lot more knowledge it might even be worth checking out your local college i know my local runs guitar coures for begginers and intermediates and the course is really cheap youll meet people in the same boat. you can buy lots of easy chord song books that are great for beginers there cheap to buy and sound for busking style tunes i think its normally the dull stuff that progresses you to the next level scales and finger exercise are all good even if your only interested in strumming chords if your only interested in strumming then i dont think reading music is all that important theres enough tab about these days its got its down sides but if your gonna know the song your playing tab n chord books be fine theres no substitue for practice hope this helps but this is one fishes opinion in a very big sea the internets a great learning tool also there doesnt seem to be much you cant find these days

*Ey up, lad, I know tha's a Yorkshireman but bah't bloody hell, hast tha never 'eard 'o punctuation? Ah were reet aht o' breath bah't time ah'd finished thi sentence.....

And that probably makes as much sense to our friends in the States - the majority on this site - and Germany, France, Norway, Sweden etc, as your post does - take your time, and get your point across, legibly and accurately....there is absolutely no point whatsoever in giving advice if no-one can understand what you've written....

You make a few good points - just state them more clearly!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

*Translation...."Hello there, young man, I know you're from the wrong side of the Pennines, but oh, dear, could you pause for breath every now and then? That's what commas are for - and full stops....! I was suffering from oxygen deprivation due to holding my breath while reading your sentence...."

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Dave. I think lessons would be a great idea. You can take the lessons and then teach your son what you learned. What a great way to spend time with him. It's something neither of you will ever forget.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarmonkey90)
Trusted Member

sorry vic , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ..................................................... there you go now you just have to put em in yourself ha ha. point taken,it was a late night scribble.english and punctuation are not my strong points,must try harder.this must be the first time ive used my keyboard cheers :lol:

"thats alright baby i still got ma guitar"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Dave,

You should also try the songs for beginners lessons on this site, and for what it's worth, I don't think it matters what books or methods you use as long as you play music that both you and your son appreciate, IMHO. Buy a song book with music you both like and go from there. If you just want to play just play, and you can start to learn scales and learn to read music at a later date.

Good luck

Stevie

ReplyQuote