Notifications
Clear all

Advice on Lefty Acoustic

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@clintard_leonard)
Topic starter  

Hi im wanting to buy a left handed acoustic (or acoustic electric) to start out on. I can only spend 200$ right now because of my job. Can you guys lead me in the right direction on the best for my buck? i know with instruments you get what you pay for and i realize i will have to upgrade but i think it will also be nice to have something that i wont care if it gets banged around singing campfire songs haha, anyways thank you!

(@davidhodge)

There may not be a lot out there, new, under $200, but between $200 and $300 you can find Ibanez, Yamaha, Seagull and Takamine. Even some Fenders (especially since Christmas is coming and the manufacturers tend to lower the prices a bit for the holidays).

Two things to consider as well:

- buying used (and this includes pawn shops and eBay). I found a lefty Seagull for less than $200 about two years ago. It was actually a new guitar that had just been sitting around in a music store in New York and they put it up for auction simply to clear space. I was the only one who bid on it.

- a new classical. Cheaper classical guitars are easy to switch over to left handed without hassles. The bridges are usually straight (not slanted to one side or the other, which would affect the intonation when you switch the strings around) and the guitars themselves are usually very durable. I have a fifteen year old Yamaha restrung-from-right-handed that I use constantly. My girlfriend's Yamaha classical is more than twenty-five years old. Both are still in excellent shape in spite of the abuse they get. Neither of us paid more than $125 for these when they were new and the going price is still less than $150. And last summer we found the same model of classical guitar at a yard sale for $25! We snatched it up and gave it to a kid as a present.

Hope this helps. And good luck!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Rondo Music has a few on their Special's page and may have a few more in theor acoustic section. I only buy Agiles from them so I can't testify to how good the SX guitars are. However several people here have purchased the SX electrics are seemed very happy with them.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My girlfriend's Yamaha classical is more than twenty-five years old. Both are still in excellent shape in spite of the abuse they get.

Peace

WOW , david , you have got a gf and not a wife.That is simply amazing. :o

I was surprised rather.Its of course personal , i am only you know was wondering. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Alright to get to the topic.

Well clintard welcome to the forum.I am a left handed player too and yes , i have done basically what david has mentioned.Got a classical guitar (and its yamaha 8) ) and reversed the strings - sounds awesome. :P

But yes my budget was very limited.I have a perfect link for you if you so -

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?cat2=3071&form=prodsearch&cat=2567&ob=pop&submit=Filter+Results

( you can always trust a fender :D ) In that i recommed the second one.Spending 50 bucks more will pay you certainly in time.

and this one , it got all listed.

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Left-Handed-Acoustic-Guitars--2567

My advice , see all of them.Read the reviews.Save a bit for better ones.Lets see how it turns out for you.

Good Luck,
Regards, :)

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

I have bought lefty guitars from Adirondack Guitar with no complaints:

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/LHMenu.htm

Looks like they have several to fit your budget. The downside is you can't "try before you buy" (unless you live near them, I suppose). They are pretty responsive so you may want to call/email them to see what they recommend.

Good luck, welcome to GN, and glad to see yet another lefty guitarist :wink:

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

Seagull is the first thing that pops into my mind. I got a used LH Seagull acust/elec. off eBay for about $240.

If you want to go under $200, consider Art & Lutherie. Not quite the Seagull, but a very good value guitar. I saw some lefty's on eBay for $140.

I spent the extra on an S6 at the beginning of summer and could not be happier.

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I have bought lefty guitars from Adirondack Guitar with no complaints:

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/LHMenu.htm

Looks like they have several to fit your budget. The downside is you can't "try before you buy" (unless you live near them, I suppose). They are pretty responsive so you may want to call/email them to see what they recommend.

Good luck, welcome to GN, and glad to see yet another lefty guitarist :wink:
I've bought (lefty) here also! Good guitar... good price....

BJ

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Ebay is the place to watch for a guitar deal.

Many guitar shops have starter guitars for your price range also. The lefties they stock usually are starter guitars and will be fine to get you started.

One guitar I would recommend to stay away from is Hohner.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote