Clear all

B Barre Chord...What's the Secret?

56 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
10.4 K Views
(@Anonymous)

And if you tell me practice I will freak out! :shock:

Everyone complains about the F Barre chord and that is SIMPLE in comparison to the B Barre (or ANY A shaped barre chords).

My middle finger just CAN'T get close enough to the 4th fret to get a clean note. I will even go out on a limb and say that it is PHYSICALLY impossible for me to fit 3 fingers in that small area and get the middle finger to fret cleanly.

All kidding aside...the reason I say please don't mention to practice is because I have religiously practiced this chord (as well as ALL the barre shapes) and this is the ONLY one that is not even close. It's not like when I had problems with the D chord. I could play that cleanly I just had problems transitioning to it. This B chord is just physically impossible for me to fret.

What sucks more is that I need it for a Keith Urban song I am learning...Memories of Us...Plus it is a fingerpicking song so an alterrnative chord won't work...at least I don't think so?

Any advice would be GREATly appreciated!

Thanks

(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member

Mike, I know what your going through. That double bar chord is really a touch one to do. Once you do it enough however, it will become second nature (even if it feels impossible right now, it will happen w/ practice). I've only been playing about a year and half, and I still think bar chords are one of the easiest part of playing guitar. The hardest is playing smooth and rhymically, with feel. Good day, keep at it.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Mike,
I'm not sure how you are trying to play it. However you are doing it, you should be doing it like this

-x--
-4--- (3) - this one is optional,don't REALLY need it, sounds fuller though**
-4----(3)
-4----(3)
-2--- (1)
-x----

The ( ) is the fingering.

IF this is the way you were trying to play it, then just move the whole shape further up the neck, where the streth for the 1st and 3rd finger won't be so big. Try it at the 10th fret, or 12th fret. And then when that gets easier, bring it down to the 9th, then 7th, then 5th, etc.

Hope that helps bud.

**Edit: Not sure if that last one even belongs. lol. Either way, you get the idea.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I am not even doing the double barre...that isn't even in my vocabulary yet...

Like I mentioned I am using the "A" shaped barre (A shaped meaning I barre with the index and then the middle, ring and pinky are on the 4th, 3rd, 2nd string)...

thanks

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've always played it with a full barre across the 2nd fret, and a mini-barre across the D G & B strings at the 4th fret...I do have very long, thin fingers though, which helps...

Try not to hit the top E though, other wise you'll have a B6 chord...but you can always play a B7 simply by placing your pinky on the top E one fret higher than the mini-barre....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I can't double barre...I broke a knuckle in a bar fight once and my finger won't bend like that...I only have one option with the B.

It's either the A shape or I don't play songs with B in them...

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I broke a knuckle in a bar fight once

Com'on, YOU in a bar fight. I would have never thought that about you. :P

Really though, It's not funny, but it's the irony. You got in a "bar" fight and now can't do a double "barre". :lol:

Without the double barre, it's gonna be tough.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

-x--
-4--- (3) - this one is optional,don't REALLY need it, sounds fuller though**
-4----(3)
-4----(3)
-2--- (1)
-x----

Uh... that highest note you have there is the major 3rd of the chord, I would say you DEFINITELY need it, especially if it's a fingerpicking song. From a chord construction standpoint, if you don't have that then you still are just playing a dyad.

In fact, I also fret the high E string on the 2nd fret as well. Think of it like your open A chord moved up two frets.

For many guitar players, the problem really isn't so much that there's not enough physical space, but simply that the flexibility isn't there to facilitate the position. Before you really dive in, check this: Can you make your open A chord using the same 3 fingers in question? If you can't, then you can basically disregard the rest of this, but if you can, then there's most likely something else going on: either flexbility, hand angle or a combination of both.

Before you attempt the chord, take 30 seconds to a minute out and gently stretch your first and 2nd fingers apart using your picking hand. Stretch to the point where you feel tension, not where you feel pain!

For reference, I can make a "peace" sign where my first and second fingers are about 5" apart, which is well more than enough to be in range of the fingering.

If you find that your flexibility isn't lacking, try investigating the angle of your hand relative to the fretboard and experimenting with tilting it slightly towards your picking hand - again: slightly - you're not trying to mess up your entire guitar technique, just figure out what's plaguing you.

Tell us how it goes!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

For many guitar players, the problem really isn't so much that there's not enough physical space, but simply that the flexibility isn't there to facilitate the position. Before you really dive in, check this: Can you make your open A chord using the same 3 fingers in question? If you can't, then you can basically disregard the rest of this, but if you can, then there's most likely something else going on: either flexbility, hand angle or a combination of both.

To answer your question...I posted in the past that when I fret the A chord I do a partial barre. I can't get the "standard" fingering for the A. I get constant buzzing and can never fret all the strings properly. It is a flexibility problem. My fingers on my left hand are a bit "twisted". I mentioned before that i am even having problems fretting any barre chord above the 7th fret...it's just the angle I have to use is not "natural".

Again the main problem is getting the middle finger close enough to the fret to get a clean sound. IF I ever get that then the NEXT problem will be transitioning to that barre cleanly.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Mike, what's the shape you are using? (write it out for me, I'm not quite getting ) However, there is nothing wrong with the shape I mentioned earlier, it sounds like a B chord, because it is a B chord. It gets the job done. It's the chord featured in Cocaine (the last one in the descending line) ,it's in many other songs to, played the same way.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

some people just cant lay down that second bar (their finger just doesn't bend that way). just lay down your middle, ring and pinky instead of the second bar if you really can't do it, although the double barre is faster.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

some people just cant lay down that second bar (their finger just doesn't bend that way). just lay down your middle, ring and pinky instead of the second bar if you really can't do it, although the double barre is faster.

I am not even doing the double barre...that isn't even in my vocabulary yet...

Like I mentioned I am using the "A" shaped barre (A shaped meaning I barre with the index and then the middle, ring and pinky are on the 4th, 3rd, 2nd string)...

thanks

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

well there you have it :D But like I said,. there's no guarentee you'll ever be able to do it (my guitar teacher doesn't do it and he's been playing guitar for over 20 years)

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I have the same trouble trying to play a B barre chord like this :

e 2
b 3
g 3
a 3
d 2
e x

this may be the chord mikespe is referring to.
However i noramally play a B as aBsus like this

e 2
b 2
g 3
a 3
d 2
e x

I think that sounds ok for a B.

Tell me what y'all think.
:D :D :D :D

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Taso, I think this is how mikespe is playing it (using your notation):

-2-- (1)
-4--- (4)
-4----(3)
-4----(2)
-2--- (1)
-x----

If so, that's how I've been trying to get it and haven't come close yet. I can do the double bar, if I miss or mute the F# on the high E.
For reference, I can make a "peace" sign where my first and second fingers are about 5" apart, which is well more than enough to be in range of the fingering.

For me, outside edige to outside edge is just a bit over 3 inches.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4