56 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
10.5 K Views
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Jesus, why! WHY!

Do it the way I said, I'm telling you, it gets the job done, it's a heck of a lot easier.

Why contort your fingers, in such a cruel, inhumane way!

No but seriously, the way I wrote is a lot easier, that's how most people play a B chord.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

For that chord shape, I use my little finger for the short barre. If I need extra pressure, for any reason (e.g. badly setup acoustic), I can use my ring finger in support.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

a hand surgeon may be able to fix your ring finger (assuming that's the one that won't flex). anyway, just play it barring with your index finger, then play the a shape using just your ring and pinky. you don't have to flex them unnaturally, just make sure the pads cover the three strings.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

For that chord shape, I use my little finger for the short barre. If I need extra pressure, for any reason (e.g. badly setup acoustic), I can use my ring finger in support.

I'm going to try that greybeard...my pinky has been getting stronger. I can do fairly good hammer-ons with it...thanks

brothertupelo,

I appreciate the suggestion but they would have to re-break the finger/knuckle to reset it. Now I am not going to go though all that just so I can play the B Barre chord :wink: . Plus it'snot just that I can't flex the ring finger..I can a bit and with some stretching probably could stretch it more...but it is slightly twisted (not much so do think I am Frankenstein! :roll: ) and it won't sit right on the strings so I end up muting strings that shouldn't be muted.

At leasr I can see that MOST of you have had problems with this chord. I don't feel so bad now. It's not as frustrating as the D chord was because I expected some difficulties. Considering this is really the only barre I am having problems with I guess I'm right on track with everyone else!

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Another fairly simple way of playing a B chord, albeit only using the top 4 strings, would be to barre the fourth fret with your index finger, and stretch your pinkie up to the 7th like so....

E - 7 - p - B
B - 4 - i - Eb
G - 4 - i - B
D - 4 - i - Gb
A - x - x - x
E - x - x - x

For a B chord, you need B (root) Eb (3rd) and Gb (5th) ....so all the notes are there, the only problem being there's no real bass note....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Mike, the following is of no help what so ever so you can stop reading now if you wish.

I am just curious, are you just having trouble with the "B" A shaped barre or all A shaped barres?

If it is just the B can you replace it with the E shaped B?

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike, the following is of no help what so ever so you can stop reading now if you wish.

I am just curious, are you just having trouble with the "B" A shaped barre or all A shaped barres?

If it is just the B can you replace it with the E shaped B?

Right now I am only trying the A shaped B chord. But I do find all of them difficult. Some I can get to fret cleanly if I take the time...it's not the index finger that's the problem...it's the middle finger that won't get close enough to the fret.

I also think that it might be that I don't havejumbo frets on my acoustic. I can get it to play cleanly on my electric but that has jumbo frets. I might look into getting my acoustic fitted with jumbos...

Does that sound feasible?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I also think that it might be that I don't havejumbo frets on my acoustic. I can get it to play cleanly on my electric but that has jumbo frets. I might look into getting my acoustic fitted with jumbos...

Does that sound feasible?

Thanks
Jumbo frets will definitely help with the A shaped "B" barre if you are using the 3 finger approach as you indicated. Especially if you have trouble with one finger. Remember though that even with jumbo frets when you get up to say the 6th or 7th fret they are still going to be smaller than the 4th on a regular size fret. So you will only partially solve your problem.

Depending on where I am on the neck I prefer to use the double barre with either my ring or pinky. I can use the 3 finger version up to about the 7th with little trouble just prefer the double barre version since it seems quicker and easier for me. I do sometimes accidentally mute the high e but it pretty much sounds the same to me.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Do it -

index - on 2nd fret (1st string)
pinky - 4th fret ( 2nd string)
ring - 4th fret ( 3rd string)
middle - 4th fret (4th string)

Best of luck mike ,

Rahul :D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it might also be the heavier strings on your acoustic. next time, go down a gauge. it might help.

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Do it -

index - on 2nd fret (1st string)
pinky - 4th fret ( 2nd string)
ring - 4th fret ( 3rd string)
middle - 4th fret (4th string)

Best of luck mike ,

Rahul :D

Haven't we established that that's what he's been doing?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

it might also be the heavier strings on your acoustic. next time, go down a gauge. it might help.

I already have .11's on the acoustic now...any lighter I'll lose sound quality

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

I dont use my middle finger for a B barre chord.This is how i do it:

index finger on A string
ring finger on D string
pinky barre G+B string
skip the High E String

If you need all the notes play the full chord on the Seventh fret.

Hope this makes sense.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I broke a knuckle in a bar fight once

Com'on, YOU in a bar fight. I would have never thought that about you. :P

Are you incinuating that I like to fight? :roll: Well yes and no...I was a bouncer for 3 years...one of those years in a biker bar...oh and I forgot to mention that the owner was a coke dealer...nice place to bring your family :roll: !

That's why when I go back home people still can't believe I am a teacher :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: !

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Yeah, I like Pepsi better too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What ever fingering you choose, practice it and don't give up. In time you will learn tons of chords and learn that there are different ways to finger any one of them.

Good luck and have fun!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4