Notifications
Clear all

Advice on new electric guitar?

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@defconzero)
Topic starter  

Hey guys, been looking around the forums a while, and for a long time I've been wanting to learn guitar.

Until, I met this guy who's been playing for about 7 years and said he would be glad to teach me.

Anyways I was wondering, I've been looking around at guitars, and I've found a couple that I like, and would juts like your guys opinion on yay or nay, or if you have any other suggestions for a beginner.

My first choice (and my guitar teachers as well) is the Epiphone G-310 Lefty (yes I am a lefty!)

G310L

My second choice would be the Ibanez GRX20 Lefty or GAX70 Lefty

GRX20L
GAX70L

And then my third choice would be the Squier Fat Strato

So any help would be appreciated thanx!

(@rocker)
Noble Member

all three are a good choice, play all three, the right one will pick you 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@defconzero)
Topic starter  

alright thanx man, cuz all three are pretty much the same price too (within 50 bucks canadian of eachother)

al so i was wondering whether or not it's important if I have a tremolo bar as a beginner? becuz the g310 doesnt and im wondering if i get that, i'd miss out not having a tremolo bar...

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

tremolo bar as a beginner?

Speaking as another beginner, I'd think it depends on what type of music you plan to play.

Country, folk you probably won't miss it.
Hard rock, metal etc. I'd guess it's essential.
Blues, it depends. A lot of finger bends and vibrato seem to me to be more important than using a trem bar.

I suppose if you have one, you have the option to not use it, but if you don't have one...

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

A trem is only good , if you're going to use it. If it sits there, doing nothing, you're better off without one.
One thing that you should check, with the Epi 310, is whether it is neck heavy or not - this seems to be a regular comment about Epi SGs. When you are standing, with the guitar on a strap, the neck wants to dive straight to the floor, or so I've heard.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I'd opt for the SG. I have an SG, I'm partial to the SG.

I have no experience with an Ibanez. But if you are looking to spend around $300 I would seriously suggest a Mexican Strat.

Anyway... you don't need a tremolo at the beginning. They are more difficult to keep in tune (especially with the entry-level tuners those guitars will have) and if you need to bend you can do it with the strings (to a degree).

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@defconzero)
Topic starter  

Alright, well I talked with Jeff (my guitar teacher) and he said it's fun to mess around with, but I don't need to have it, because it'll just get in the way.

So probably tomorrow me and him will go to the Music store, and see if I can test some out.

ReplyQuote
(@iskateblind)

i find bending the strings is easyer. because with a tremelo you have to keep string in check all the time. my starcaster has one but i only use it for good feedback off the amp.if your looking for a twangy guitar get one with a trem there usually lighter.there usually lead guitars so there light.

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Also I think you might want to find a friendly music store that will let you try out a few guitars for size and sound. See what feels right to you and what you'd like to play. If you're not comfortable I'd guess you might not want to put the guitar on and play it.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Alright, well I talked with Jeff (my guitar teacher) and he said it's fun to mess around with, but I don't need to have it, because it'll just get in the way.

So probably tomorrow me and him will go to the Music store, and see if I can test some out.
Hey, that's cool that he will go with you. With him being your teacher and all, he will know what sound you are looking for out of your guitar from the music you like to play.

Hope you guys have fun!

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@defconzero)
Topic starter  

Alright, well today was my BDAY :D lol

Anyways my parents gave me like 75 bucks towards my guitar, and said that this week theyd talk to Jeff and his parents and would set it all up, and that as long as me n jeff didnt get a 1200 dollar set for me, and we did our research or w/e....they're perfectly digging it :)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN.

I am a lefty too and i know of all the *struggle* a poor lefty has to go through in this cruel world of northpaws.

The SG is a great guitar.Go for it ! :D

ReplyQuote
(@defconzero)
Topic starter  

Alright guys, it's been a while, and I'd just like to say that I'd like to thank you all for all of your help. On Saturday me and Jeff went to the store, and got everything I needed. I had tested out the guitars before, and my mind was set on the 310. When me and jeff walk in, we know we're going to have to order it, since they didn't have any, BUT the guy said that he would give me the g-400 for 150 bucks off if i bought it right then and there...so I did....regularily 530, i got it for 400 ....... the amp I got is the Roland Cube Micro, so I can do all sorts of stuff with it and w/e kind of music I wana play I can.......got a hardcase....patch cord....picks....straps..etc.......altogether with taxes it was $700 (canadian)....i've been playing myself, until me and jeff start the lessons off.....and have learnt some easy songs i can think of.

What I was wondering though is some easy songs I can teach myself, so I'd go download the tabs and practise and stuff. Thanx guys!

ReplyQuote