Topic starter  

where to next...

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

whatever you want...

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Go back and learn the major scale. Then add the blues note to your pent scales. Then, once you understand how modes work, you will have an endless range of possibilities at your finger tips.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

where to next...

Sing; sing the notes as you play them, then sing them without playing them. Then sing the notes first and find them on the strings.

Skip around; don't just play them bottom to top and top to bottom. Try to make melodies (either singing or playing, but mostly singing), and play those melodies.

Music is about melody, not just scales/modes/technique.

Best

ReplyQuote
(@srmaximo)
Eminent Member

What music do you like to play?

Teach Guitar
Free Guitar Tabs
Strum Patterns

ReplyQuote
(@jeremyd)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

metal and punk my fav band is my chemical romance and system of a down

ReplyQuote
(@srmaximo)
Eminent Member

I agree with Mr. Jonesey, then--learn the major scale next. And doing the kind of ear training that DemoEtc. is talking about is important, too.

After that, learn some arpeggios. Chords, scales, and arpeggios are your building blocks for making any type of music.

Whenever you're working on a complicated task like learning a scale, I think it's good to get to know it well before moving on to another scale. So pick one, and really work at it--playing it back and forth, sequencing it, and using it to play melodies and improvise. Once you've really got it in your blood, move on to the next scale or finger pattern. Otherwise, you end up with a bunch of patterns you've memorized, but no way to turn them into music.

Teach Guitar
Free Guitar Tabs
Strum Patterns

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Are you improvising with the pentatonic, or did you just learn it? Can you play it in every key, and know the I IV V notes of the key? Improvising would be a great place to go from where you are, unless you are already, for me, the guitar wasn't truly fun until I started improving.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I have to agree with Taso. Once you start improvising it really does open up a lot of possibilities and its great fun too.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote