Clear all

Am/G Hardest chord

28 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Does any one else have problems with this chord I can't get it without touching adjacent strings

especially hitting the 5th string with the dreaded pinky

are my fingers to short or is there a knack to this cord?

I reckon it could be harder than that other one the F

I have been trying it (Am/G) now for quite some time all different ways but to no joy so I'd pick another song without Am/G in it

Its now time I think to stand my ground and beat this chord for once and for all

does any one else have the same problem? how did you sort it out?

As I'm nearly there what was your hardest chord to learn?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Your fingers probably aren't too short. Just get the Am set, and see if you can reach the pinky straight across to the G - since you're deadinging the A string, you don't need to arch this finger as long as you clear the D string.

Hardest chord for me to learn? There's a voicing of Emaj13+11 in Chord Chemistry that's fretted 12-14-13-11-11-9 using T43221 fingering. I've been working on that one off and on for more than 25 years, and I still don't have it.

I actually think my hand may be too small for this one, since I can finger it without the thumb as a five-string chord, but moving my hand to get the thumb in deadens the fourth string. That doesn't keep me from experimenting with it though - maybe I'll find the right combination of angles to get this one someday :)

As you progress, you'll find chords that are tough. Work on them for a while, take a break, and tackle them again. Sometimes you'll have found developing other techniques in the meantime that can make things easier.

I remember having lots of trouble early on with some fingerings, especially the 3x132x (Eb7) shape. It seemed like I'd never get it... but after a few years it's so easy you wonder why there was ever a problem.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Am/G is actually Am7/G. So you can fret it like [3 0 2 0 1 0x] which isn't too bad at all.

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks i hate to even what would happen to me if i tried to play that Emaj13+11 chord, dont think id be able to walk for a week after it
Your fingers probably aren't too short. Just get the Am set, and see if you can reach the pinky straight across to the G - since you're deadinging the A string, you don't need to arch this finger as long as you clear the D string.

as regaurds the A string are you saying it ok to deaden that string while playing Am/G the one i was trying to play is fingered 302210 if so i think that helps tremendously

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Am/G consist of fout notes: A C E G, where G has to be the lowest note. Where the rest is doesn't matter. So you have these options:

[3 0 2 2 1 0] (G A E A C E)
[3 x 2 2 1 0] (G x E A C E)
[3 0 2 0 1 0] (G A E G C E)
[3 0 2 x 1 0] (G A E x C E)
[3 x x 2 1 0] (G x x A C E)
[3 3 2 2 x x] (G C E A x x)

etc etc etc. :D Pick the one that sounds nice and is playable.

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

steutelbos thats great i can now play A m/G

bye the way your music is cool was just listening to them

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

as regaurds the A string are you saying it ok to deaden that string while playing Am/G the one i was trying to play is fingered 302210 if so i think that helps tremendously

That's exactly what I was saying - you don't need the low A, since it's no longer the bass note and you've already got another A in the chord (on the third string)

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

That's exactly what I was saying - you don't need the low A, since it's no longer the bass note and you've already got another A in the chord (on the third string)

Thats great i should have asked ages ago thanks noteboat Am/G Done and dusted sorry steutelbos Am7/G thank you too

so what can we do with the F?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You'll want to master the partial barre F, because so many other chord forms build off it. But the quick and dirty way to get through a song is x3321x.

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

is the partial barre F x03211

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

yes

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

If you're going to use 302210 then try flattening your middle finger to get the two twos in the middle. works for me, thought i usually use 302010.

As far as the F chord is concerned, now that I know both the partial F and the bare F, I say go straight for the barre F. It's not that hard to move from an open C to a barre F or from and open G to a barre F.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Thumbs lads, don't forget your thumbs.

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

what should the thumbs do nick?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

With the thumb you can fret the 3rd fret 6th string, which leaves your other fingers free. This also works for the F, you can do a partial barre and use the F on the sixth string which will basically result in the full F. This works extremely well, espescially if you have the thumb wrapped over because you were playing lead. It works better on electrics and is hardest on a classical guitar.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2