Notifications
Clear all

Amp and cabinet wattages and ohms and the Idea of building a cab

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@turbo7021)
Topic starter  

Hi, Im pretty new to guitar stuff. I recently bought an electric guitar and a combo amp, great stuff, but Im thinking about upgrading to a tube amp sometime down the line (when I get good at playing :D) so as I started researching amps I got a lot of questions which I couldnt find answers to.
First of all, are 5W tube amps enough? Thats what a lot of amps have and most cabs seem to have way higher wattages.
I found a really nice budget tube amp (VOX MV50 Rock, 50w) and I was wondering, what cabinet should I pair it with? Is there any danger of it being way too quiet or way too loud or even breaking with a weaker or more powerful cab? Or does it mostly depend on ohms?
Also Ive got 2 8 ohm 6 inch speakers, it says on the back that they can handle maximum of 140w load. Could I make a cabinet with them running in parallel? Then it would be 4 ohms and let the amp run on its 50w (its 50w at 4 ohms, 25w at 8 ohms according to Vox). How would that be, would it work? And if I only made 1 speaker cabinet? Or even one with a switch to turn the second speaker on or off, would that even work?
And how about getting them to break up? "Speaker break up" is a completely new term to me but Ive heard its good (?) to achieve for electric guitar cabinets.
I do realize the speakers might not be intended for guitar cabinets and the frequency response might not be perfect for guitar.
Im new to this but Ive heard building a cab is a thing and matching cabinet/amp wattages and ohms is a very new thing to me.
I mostly intend to play metal/rock so the gain would often be rather high. Also, what if I played clean on them? It would be quieter, right?
And if I ended up buying a 5w amp, what happens if I connect that to the aforementioned setup? Maybe Im way better off buying a 1x12 or 2x12 cab? Although that would cost more than building one with already existing speakers and wood.
Im really confused :D
I hope this should be going on beginner's Q&A and not some other forum :D