Clear all

amp suggestions

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How much money do I need to spend to get a good guitar amp?

I am currently using a 30 watt solid state Crate amp. It has a decent tone, but there is a lot of hiss when I turn it up.

300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Really depends on the sound you want and weather you want a tube amp of solid state. Tubes tend to cost more than solid state. I have a preference for tube, but that is MY preference for the sound I am looking for. Goto the local guitar store and try a few and see what you think of what they stock.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Hiss could be caused by your cable, try a different one and see. If there is a bad solder joint, not shielded correctly can cause noise thru your amp

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hiss could be caused by your cable, try a different one and see. If there is a bad solder joint, not shielded correctly can cause noise thru your amp

I don't think that's it. It hisses even without a cable plugged in. I think it is just cheap or worn out.

It's a Crate GX-15 (outdated model) that I bought on ebay.

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Really depends on the sound you want and weather you want a tube amp of solid state. Tubes tend to cost more than solid state. I have a preference for tube, but that is MY preference for the sound I am looking for. Goto the local guitar store and try a few and see what you think of what they stock.
tube amps seem a little out of my price range. but then again I have never played with a tube amp. so.... i guess i will have to check it out.

What would be a good price for a nice tube amp or a nice solid state amp?

For those who like tube amp sound, does an entry level tube amp sound better than the top notch solid state amps?

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

tube amps seem a little out of my price range. but then again I have never played with a tube amp. so.... i guess i will have to check it out.

What would be a good price for a nice tube amp or a nice solid state amp?

For those who like tube amp sound, does an entry level tube amp sound better than the top notch solid state amps?

Those are some loaded questions you're asking there... :)

I will say that you can probably get an acceptable tube amp at a pretty good price if you go used or if you hunt for sales. But even that is subjective: for most guitarists a Classic 30 or a Blues Jr. fills all their basic needs with a reasonable quality of sound.

If you give us some specifics about your performance needs and the upper limit on your price range, then we can probably give you some more specific information.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

As for performance, I don't do any gigging. I would like about enough power to fill a large room if I needed to.

My price limit is around $250.

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

for $250 will I find a good amp? or rather, how will a $250 amp perform?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'm not sure whats available in the 250 range. I think even the blues jr is upwards of 350.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

so should i expect to pay around $400?

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Yes. Blues Jr is in the $375 range depending on where you find the amp and the sale. I paid $500 for my Hot Rod Deluxe, with tax (Fender). This is a 40W tube and more than loud! I got a good price, but I did buy the floor model and worked a deal out with the owner. Regular price was $575. Best advice is to demo the amp and see if you like the sound. Try using the fat or soak on the tube amps to demo this effect of overdriven tubes.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Fender Hot-Rod Deluxe is a very nice amp. Had the opportunity to play one this past weekend at GC. Plugged in a Ibanez hollowbody and boy did it sound sweet. Fender won't lose its reputation over this amp. Plenty loud for sure. But a bit more than I was wanting to spend ($599) and more volume than I need.

You might want to try the Vox Valvetronix line. I was wanting to try out the 30W but they were out of stock. Played the 50W and it had great stuff. It is a tube hybrid, and not expensive at all. Definately worth the listen. Once again the 50W is more than I need right now, but I know that when I get to hear the 30W I'll probably end up taking the 50W. Upstairs neighbors be forewarned and damned.

Try'em all, hunting is the best part.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@voodoochildtwj)
Trusted Member

LINE 6 Spider 2 BOTTOM LINE 75 watt go check it out now
http://www.line6.com

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

LINE 6 Spider 2 BOTTOM LINE 75 watt go check it out now
http://www.line6.com

Eh, if your gonna go budget SS modeling, hands down Vox Valvetronix... it has a tube in it BTW.. 15 watt is 180 bucks, 30 watt is 230 or 240 bucks... they sound exellent for SS(solid state)...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote