Skip to content
What does it mean t...

Notifications
Clear all

What does it mean to say "I can play a song thru"?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I am trying to set some goals for myself, having recently started trying to learn fingerstyle guitar (I know some basic chords from many years back..)

I am curious as to what people mean when they say "play a song all the way through" (at least as it applies to a relative beginner).

Do you mean:
a) you can sing the whole song and strum the chords and play some solo/intro style stuff?
b) you can strum the chords through while looking at some tab?
c) you can strum along while listening to the record?
d) you can actually play the tune on the guitar?

My problem is that I am pretty bad at singing, and while I can look at the tab and play through the first couple of simple songs from "contemporary travis picking" book, I get in trouble if I try to sing. So, I want to try and set myself a reasonable target, and I am looking for some advice.

Many thanks in advance.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It depends on what role you play. Are you the rhythm player, the lead player, rhythm and vocals, or lead and vocals?

I my case, I am the vocals, rhythm and lead player. For me, to play a song all the way through, I have to be able to sing while playing the rhythm and when it comes time, play the lead.

If your rhythm, then all you need to do is play the rhythm all the way through. You don't have to worry about the singing or lead because that's no your area. If you're worried about there being a “blank” space where the lead should be inserted, don't worry about it, it's not your responsibility.

Songs do sound boring without vocals but, if that's not your area, don't worry about. I would recommend learning the vocals though, only because it helps with your timing.

Hope that helped!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I am curious as to what people mean when they say "play a song all the way through" (at least as it applies to a relative beginner).

IMHO, it means you can sit down with your guitar and perform the whole piece, ->from start to finish<-, in such a way that somebody listening to you recognises what you're playing, with or without vocal, and could sing along if they wanted to.

It doesn't have to be perfect.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the helpful replies. My objective starting out was to be able to play fingerstyle solos, but I need to set some intermediate goals. And that seems to be to learn to play the accompaniment for some songs in fingerpicking style.

Trying the vocals helps me, but at the same time is very difficult for me.. I will try to find some songs that I can enjoy playing and are recognizable without the vocals, that seems like a good goal to set.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

If its just you then make your own style. I can sing the vocals to hotel California and strum the chords, (an example) after the vocal part I simply strum the same chords louder and a bit different because I can't play that lead part. So until I have other techniques down I played that song through in my own way. Singing is a big part though, don't worry about your voice just sing like you do when listening to a song on the radio.....maybe before you ever played guitar

ReplyQuote