Clear all

Another fret problem.

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Some of u guys might remember my problems with the frets on my electric,(if u dont see my post called fret problem) and my dad found the answer for it. Because the dents are on the frets 18 &19, and my axe has 22 frets, my dad wants to filedown the frets from fret 18 to fret 22(so thell be on the same level.). He thinks that this is the solution. I dont agree. My solution is to go and refret 18th& 19 fret in some guitar workshop. Coming back to my dads solution, i think that there will be lots of problems. Is my dads solution a good one?(this question is for u PRO guys out there). Any advice is apreciated.

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Replacing the two frets: $20-30
Your dad taking a file to it: Free.

The individual fret replacement would be better, but if that's money that can't be spent and the guitar is unplayable... I guess you might get to filing.

If the guitar IS playable, I'd just keep off those frets until I could have it fixed, because if you want the whole thing to be in fine working order again and you've filed down the last few frets, the job goes from costing $30 to costing more like $50-70.

One thing you could do that couldn't possibly hurt is take it down to your local tech/luthier and have him look at, see what he thinks, maybe give his estimate.

Good luck!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote