new be

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 bry
(@bry)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hi i`m very new just a couple of months into learning.
my problem seems to be strumming. learning to
finger the chords although i`m not that quick at changing
it is improving. but i can`t seem to strum in time. any
tips or help would be more than welcome. thanks
bry :cry:

trying to learn the guitar with my 50 birthday just around the corner SH*T it`s come and gone

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Practice downstrokes first, one stroke four each beat... try it with some off the easier chords like D,G, Eb.... Once you have the single downstroke good change it so you have a downstroke, followed by and upstroke, again one strum for each beat. Do this allot, and you will be strumming out more complex chords very guickly..

Oh... and go buy a metronome or find a software one to use,

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

^ this is what hes talking about: http://www.metronomeonline.com/
yes, a metronome wil help incredibly.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@gjbrake)
Reputable Member

easier chords like D,G, Eb....

Eb is easy?!! Since when?!! I still hate that chord even now - when I first started out I just avoided it like the plague!

What's your fingering?

Anyway, yes I found the strumming part the hardest too. I found it helped to listen carefully to the drums in the songs you are playing along with. The strumming is the rhythm after all. Heavy down strokes when the drummer hits the bass or snare and upstrokes in between. That's by no means all there is to Rhythm Guitar - but it should give you a start.

There's some good advice above too.

Listen Louder Than You Play

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Maybe he meant Em?

I really hope so....

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Once you feel comfortable with your downstroke strum. Once you've purchased a metronome and are using it (note to self - blow the dust off metronome and turn it on) and want to go further check out this article by Tom Serb.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=461

It is an excellent article on keeping time. With excellent exercises. For those of us that do not have the natural gift of rhythm, it becomes one of the more difficult parts of playing.

Here is a hint. When listening to music try to find the beat and count with it. Follow the drum line or the bass line.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

What has helped me is slowing recorded songs down and playing along with small sections of them. You can slow mp3's down with newer versions of Windows Media Player, but you can't loop sections of a song. Or you can use software like Audacity, which is free, to slow down sections of songs. You can also use Audacity's "repeat" effect to repeat a highlighted a part of the song so you can play along with it a number of times.

Strumming is often the most challenging part of playing (which is why most people use their dominant hand for strumming), so hang in there and don't get frustrated. It will start to fall in place.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

Try using this switch Em-Emajor-Am-Amajor.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

My bad... I meant Em

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote