Clear all

Pick Questions?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lenny56)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing for about 2 months now and have a question on picks.
Been using a medium pick, but I notice it makes strumming the chords smoothly a bit difficult.
If I try to keep up a constant level of strumming, some strikes make the chord sound normal, some come out either too loud or too soft.
I was wondering if the "give" of a light gage pick would even out the strumming a bit.
I'll probably just go out and buy a pack of light picks as they're cheap enough.
Just wanted to hear what you all had to say about it.
Lenny

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Light picks are very good for strumming but if you want to pick some single notes out its very quite. I have some cool picks that are medium but there is a line in the middle that makes it so you use it either soft or hard by 'coking' up or down on it.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

Just buy alot of diffrent picks and find out for yourself.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member

Just my experience:

When I started I found I preferred lighter/ thinner picks. For me it was just easier to strum with them in the beginning. As time went along I slowly started using thicker picks. That's what I prefer now.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It is much easier to start with light picks, especially for strumming. As you point out, the pick flex smooths out the playing. Also, it is difficult to develop both picking coordination and stumming/picking hand flexibility at the same time. Until you really know "where those strings are," your accuracy is better with a bit stiffer fingers/wrist. But later on, as your picking hand control improves -- more coordination, finger grip/strength, wrist/finger flex -- you will probably find a heavier pick will give you far more control, and thus speed, as well as better tone and dynamic control.

So go ahead and start light. You'll know when you want to move to a heavier pick.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote