Clear all

Another newbie question

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@plot36)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I travel a fair amount and would like to take my guitar (electric) with me but obviously carting an amp around is not an option (quite apart from noise considerations in the hotel). So, I'm thinking I need some sort of portable device that simulates an amp (a virtual amp?) that I can plug headphones into and play away to my hearts content without being thrown out of the hotel. Any recommendations? The more portable the better as I tend to travel by train. Thanks :)

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You can do this with some multi efx pedals. I have a basic Zoom pedal that works this way. You can plug the headphones straight into the pedal. That should do the trick for you.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I own the Digitech RP200A and really like it. Other than the many different sounds, it has a drum machine you can jam to and a spot for your headphones. Can be had for @ $150 or even cheaper used.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I have a Danelectro headphone amp. About twenty quid in the UK. It has distortion and reverb buttons, and a 1/4"" jack socket to drive an external amp as well as a 3.5mm headphone socket. The phones are of reasonable quality and have a long lead. The sound is perfectly acceptable.

Plugging my LP copy into the headphone amp, then running the output into the clean channel on a Marshall MG30DFX gives me the ultimate clean tone. Look out neighbours ..... Bwahahahahahahaaaaaaa

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

The digitech rp100a goes for about $70, has 11 amp models and multiple affects. can plug in headphones and can also plug into pc for a recording interface. Next step up would be the rp200 mentioned above. There is also the old tried and true standby a Pignose, been around forever, tough little buggers and a great sound

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@plot36)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all.

ReplyQuote
(@plot36)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

So I went to have a browse and see what options were available in my local guitar shops and ended up allowing myself to be talked into buying a Line6 PodV2. OK, I didn't need much persuading, and so far after only a brief play I am very impressed - hours of fun ahead methinks. The shop matched the cheapest internet price and threw in a bag for free too.

ReplyQuote