Clear all

Another wrist pain question

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@blackenedanger)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Is it normal to have slight wrist pain, or not even pain just discomfort AFTER playing?

I'm not sure how to describe it. It's not necessarily pain.....

How much are you supposed to bend your fretting wrist before it's too much? It doesn't hurt or feel off when I'm playing really....just after a little....

I just don't want to do this the wrong way or damage my wrist.

"Into ruin, I am sinking, hostage of this nameless feeling!" - MetallicA

(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'm basing this response on the assumption that you are a fairly new player, so, if you're not, just disregard and go to the doctor! :shock:

It's normal to feel a little 'discomfort' in your wrists when you are first learning because you are using muscles in your wrists in different ways than you ever have before. It's just like when you haven't exercised your body for a while then, when you do, you get sore afterward. Your wrist muscles are just weak and as you play you are working those muscles and they will gain strength and the discomfort will go away. When you start using (or trying to use) barre chords, you will probably find that, not only will your wrist become 'sore' again, your finger and hand muscles will, too. Now, if it ever reaches the point where it's not just muscle discomfort or soreness, but is actual PAIN, go see a doctor.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@blackenedanger)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm basing this response on the assumption that you are a fairly new player, so, if you're not, just disregard and go to the doctor! :shock:

It's normal to feel a little 'discomfort' in your wrists when you are first learning because you are using muscles in your wrists in different ways than you ever have before. It's just like when you haven't exercised your body for a while then, when you do, you get sore afterward. Your wrist muscles are just weak and as you play you are working those muscles and they will gain strength and the discomfort will go away. When you start using (or trying to use) barre chords, you will probably find that, not only will your wrist become 'sore' again, your finger and hand muscles will, too. Now, if it ever reaches the point where it's not just muscle discomfort or soreness, but is actual PAIN, go see a doctor.

Well I've been playing for about 5 months. I'm used to playing sitting down with the guitar up higher....but standing with the guitar is brand new to me and my position is a bit different. My aim is to be in a metal band or something along that line so I'm focusing on standing up.

I don't have actual pain. I have slight soreness in the wrist area and slight discomfort, but it doesn't hurt where I can't bend the strings or play or anything.

I'm guessing it's just because I'm standing up and it's new for my wrist.

Thanks!

"Into ruin, I am sinking, hostage of this nameless feeling!" - MetallicA

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Your wrist should hardly be bent at all. You may need to point your guitar neck up a little more or shorten the strap to achieve that. It doesn't look epecially metal, but it's worth it if you want your hands to continue to function after a few years.

ReplyQuote