Clear all

How's this for a first guitar...

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@cookiedude)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I decided to get an electric guitar, and my first paycheck is Thursday, so I have been looking around to find something that looks good that fits my price range. Here's what I found:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/519658/

The reviews are pretty good overall, and it looks good to me, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought about that before I blow $250 on it.

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Go try it out! Can't stress that enough. Lots of people ask if this, that, or the other is any good. You've just gotta go play the thing, your opinion is what matters most.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Don't do it. Just go with a seperate amp and guitar, you'll get much better quality. First decide if you want humbuckers or singlecoils. If you want the first, check out the Dean Evo XM. If you are after single-coils, check the Squier Affinity Stratocaster.

Both these guitars will easily allow you to learn comfortably. Assuming you have a budget of $250, you either have $100 or $150 left over for the amp and minor stuff. For the amp, go for a Behringer GM108. Very versatile, more then loud enough to annoy the neighbours, and plenty of i/o options. This leaves you with either $40 or $90. Get yourself a gigbag, a strap, some picks, a tuner and an extra set of string. If you went for the Evo you still have enough cash left to buy a hamburger on the way home. If you went for the squire you probably spend pretty much exactly everything you were willing to spend.

ReplyQuote
(@cookiedude)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Alright, thanks for the help guys. I decided to buy the guitar and amp separately, and that amp you mentioned looks great, but now I have to pick a guitar. I want humbuckers (I think, since I read somewhere that they're better for playing heavier music, correct me if I'm wrong), but I didn't really like the looks of that one you mentioned. I searched around musiciansfriend.com and saw this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=electric/search/detail/base_pid/518334/

This one seems to look good to me, and it fits my budget nicely if i get it in the black (I prefer that color anyway). Let me know what you think of this one please.

ReplyQuote