Clear all

Steps in learning the guitar????

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@swifty)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing for about a week now. I can play easy songs that only use notes.

1. What do you think would be the next step?
2. Should I work on some cords? If so which ones?
3. Also what finger should I use to go from the 1st fret to the 3rd freet on the first string. At first I was using my index finger and pinky but now I can reach the third fret with my ring finger. Does it depend on the song and the changes between notes?

Any help will be great.

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

1 - 2) Yes, chords are a good idea, although there's no rush if you want a little more practice with single-note songs first.
3. In most cases, ring is best. As you have surmised, the next note may dictate a different approach, like using the pinky to keep the ring finger free for the next note.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

With 7 days in on playing guitar, I'd say slow down and practice right as opposed to trying to fly through learning stuff and playing just junky. I believe the general rule-of-thumb is to use on finger per fret.

Say you are playing a note on the third fret then have to play on on the fifth. You'd use your ring finger. If you had to play a note on the third then the fourth fret you'd use your index then middle finger. If you play a note on the third and sixth fret you'd use your index and pinky.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@swifty)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your replies,

Right now I have had a lot of time. I have been practicing for about two hours a day on average.

This is what I have been doing:

1. Pratice scales using different frets
2. Practice couting out beats in simple songs
3. Practicing other simple songs for beginners.

* now I will add some simple cords as well. which cords should I practice

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

While practicing the scales why not add a little ear training. Play them in this order:

Key
----
G - starting on 3rd fret (6 string)
C - starting on 8th fret
F - starting on 1st fret (or 13th)
Bb - starting on 6th fret
Eb - starting on 11th fret
Ab - starting on 4th fret
Db - starting on 9th fret
Gb - starting on 2nd fret
B - starting on 7th fret
E - starting on 12th fret
A - starting on 5th fret
D - starting on 10th fret

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote