Clear all

Art of Contemporary Travis Picking

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just got this book and am working through this. Something the author doesn't explicitly talk about is if you're plucking the strings with your fingernails or not... are you?

Thanks!

(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

I have been working in this book as well....and others written by Mark Hanson. The question of fingernails? Well, I have them now, and am learning how not to get them caught up in strings other than the ones they should play. I think the sound of my guitar is better with the fingernails...the strings ring louder....but, sometimes (more ofter than not), my nails are getting hung up on ajacent strings.

So, yes, I do use the fingernails....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I've seen some guys do a Travis 'type' picking using fingerpicks. There was even that one video someone put up in the Slide and Alternate Tunings room of a guy playing with a flatpick and two fingerpicks. So that's another possibility.

Best regards.

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

I've been working from this book, and I use the flesh of my fingers, not my nails. It depends on what feels better for you. I don't like long nails, but on the other end the sound is weaker (but softer) with the flesh. Really, it's up to you.

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member

I have long fingernails and find the guitar rings out much nicer. However, I always keep the one on my thumb short, so the bass sounds more 'rounder'. That way, I get a nice soft bass on the E and A and D strings and a nice ringing treble on the G, B, and E.

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

ReplyQuote